Flakes in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
Any suggestions? As I was getting ready to bottle today, I opened my secondary fermenter and I was startled to find flakes floating in the beer. When I dry-hopped 2 weeks ago, I used a new nylon bag with Citra hops. At that time the beer looked fine. I had always used muslin bags for dry-hoping, but the local brew shop suggested this nylon bag. I boiled the nylon bag prior to use. This is my 13th batch and is the first time I've ever had an issue. Is the beer spoiled? I looks and smells fine! I typically go over the top regarding sanitization when I brew.

You should be ok. Can you post a picture?

I noticed that the nylon bag I used to dry hop came slightly untied. I will use a muslin bag again in the future for dry-hopping. Never had issues with it and it can be tossed after. I sanitized a muslin bag, put it at the ned of my racking cane and used it as a filter. Worked like a charm. I kind of freaked since I've never had an issue or lost a batch.... thanks for your reply!

Back