Flaked Oats v. Oat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzywumpers

Reaction score
An Irish Blonde recipe I want to brew calls for:
9.75# 2-row
1# flaked Barley
1# Oat Malt

My LHBS did not have Oat Malt, so I grabbed one pound of Flaked Oats instead.

Question 1: Is this a good substitute?

2: Together with the flaked barley, will this be too much flaked material?

3: What is Oat Malt used for? Body? Flavor? Color?

Thanks

Oat malt adds texture and a warm, grainy flavor to stouts and porters. Whereas flaked oats will provide a creaminess/full body feel to the beer. Although your recipe isn't the same as the original, I don't think you will notice much of a difference in flavor... more of a texture issue.

That's what I figured. I'm just wondering if it will be super thick considering the amount of flaked grains.

My other idea was to just add half of the flaked grains and leave it at that.

3: What is Oat Malt used for? Body? Flavor? Color?

Oat malt is a base malt - notice the word malt. It was mainly used for beer simply because it was prevalent on the British isles. Now it's a bit hard to find - Thomas Fawcett may be the only maltster making it.

So... substituting flaked oats for malt is the same as subbing flaked barley for barley malt (2-row/pale/etc). Your beer will be fine but it will be different, as BigB said. At just a pound, you may not have been able to pick oat malt out specifically. If you find it later on, get a few pounds and try the recipe again, even at 2 or 3 pounds (reducing the 2-row) to really notice it.

Thanks for all of the advice. I used half of the flaked oat/barley mixture. Which half? I don't know. Looks like this brew will be one of a kind.

Back