Flaked Corn/Maize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaglerBC

Reaction score
Is there any store that would sell flaked corn/maize not including a homebrew shop? My LHBS was out of it and would like to get some for Sunday (online not an option). I know that grocery stores don't really carry it but wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Also, has anyone used instant grits with success, I'm thinking that It would be my best substitute.

I use both regular polenta/grits, and instant grits. The former I boil for 5 minutes then let sit for 10 before adding to mash; the latter go directly into the mash. Both work great.

Grits work great, and I know of some guys popping popcorn and using that. Otherwise, whole food stores (aka "hippie stores") should have flaked corn.

I have masa on hand for tamales and tortillas and I sometimes look at that and wonder- but I've never tried it so I don't know how it would work.

+1 for the polenta/grits suggestions. I've found that a lot of the flaked corn (and rice) smells/tastes stale in the finished beer. No such issue with polenta.

My local ace hard wear has a little Homebrew area. Not sure if they have corn though.
I'd also check the local whole foods/hippie bin shop.

I believe the grits have to be "instant" to work. I don't think the gourmet "polenta" would be pre-gelatinized. I am looking to brew a Kentucky Common next, and my plan is to run popcorn through my corona mill and then do a cereal mash.

I have masa on hand for tamales and tortillas and I sometimes look at that and wonder- but I've never tried it so I don't know how it would work.

Yooper, you may know that maize masa is made from hominy, which is dried corn soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually lime water (slaked lime). While I've not used it in brewing, perhaps it could have an effect on mash pH.

I believe the grits have to be "instant" to work. I don't think the gourmet "polenta" would be pre-gelatinized. I am looking to brew a Kentucky Common next, and my plan is to run popcorn through my corona mill and then do a cereal mash.

You can use regular grits too, but they should be fully cooked prior to adding to the mash otherwise I believe you'll miss out on a lot of their potential.

You can certainly do a cereal mash, but one is not strictly necessary in order to use hard starch adjuncts like corn/rice/wheat/etc. Most important is to simply expand those starches and make them available to the enzymes in the mash by the time they are added. I have foregone cereal mashes and instead opt for simply cooking the adjunct; it's performance has easily been equal and the effort/time is much reduced.

Just my experience of course.

Yooper, you may know that maize masa is made from hominy, which is dried corn soaked and cooked in an alkaline solution, usually lime water (slaked lime). While I've not used it in brewing, perhaps it could have an effect on mash pH.

Yes, I'm thinking of the nixtamalization process, and that's why I haven't tried it. :D Still, I don't know if any of the alkaline treatment carries over in the final product. Somehow, I don't think so- I think once the nixtamalization breaks down the cellulose and the process is complete that it's not high in alkalinity. But I'm not at all sure of that, and I don't even know why that seems true to me- so I still haven't tried it! It's very very finely ground, so that would be a nightmare trying to lauter, but using a BIAB approach for it might work.

You can use regular grits too, but they should be fully cooked prior to adding to the mash otherwise I believe you'll miss out on a lot of their potential.

You can certainly do a cereal mash, but one is not strictly necessary in order to use hard starch adjuncts like corn/rice/wheat/etc. Most important is to simply expand those starches and make them available to the enzymes in the mash by the time they are added. I have foregone cereal mashes and instead opt for simply cooking the adjunct; it's performance has easily been equal and the effort/time is much reduced.

+1^
I mill flaked corn on a narrow gap so they basically turn into grits. Put safety goggles on when milling! Or use bought grits, the more "instant" the grits are the less cooking they need. Then boil with ample water, into a thin polenta. I let them simmer for about an hour with regular stirring. Let cool down or add cold water. That thin polenta becomes (part of) your strike water. Add more water if you need, depending on your grain bill and desired W/G ratio.

Can you elaborate on the difference between doing a cereal mash and "simply cooking"? I thought that is pretty much what a cereal mash is.

+1^
I mill flaked corn on a narrow gap so they basically turn into grits. Put safety goggles on when milling! Or use bought grits, the more "instant" the grits are the less cooking they need. Then boil with ample water, into a thin polenta. I let them simmer for about an hour with regular stirring. Let cool down or add cold water. That thin polenta becomes (part of) your strike water. Add more water if you need, depending on your grain bill and desired W/G ratio.

OK, but we are not talking about flaked corn. We are talking about regular grits (not pre-gelatinized like flaked corn).

Can you elaborate on the difference between doing a cereal mash and "simply cooking"? I thought that is pretty much what a cereal mash is.

Sure.

Simply cooking is just that, simply cooking the adjunct to doneness. Be it rice or polenta/corn. For polenta, bring water to boil; add polenta; cook 5 minutes; remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes; done. For rice, bring rice and water to low boil; reduce to low simmer and cover; cook for 20 minutes; remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes; afterwards I mix it up with a hand mixer to break down the rice grains into smaller pieces. In both methods I like to ensure that I will finish with a soupy end product (thin, runny polenta, or rice that's still soaking in water). It can then be added to your main mash for conversion.

Cereal mash: Along with your adjunct you use a small portion of diastatic-rich malt to provide the conversion enzymes to give a "head start" on conversion of easily available starches. Heat to mash temp range (~140-160F) and hold there for mashing duration of 5-60 minutes (whatever your goal is). After mashing, bring to boil for 5-60 minutes (whatever your goal is). It can now be added to your main mash for further conversion. This method requires some temperature control, additional time, and more of your attention. The problem is that much of the starches of adjunct are not available to the enzymes during the cereal mash due to either being bound up deep inside the granule or simply not gelated enough for the enzymes to access. While the "head start" does work for those starches that were small enough and gelated enough to be accessed by the enzymes, IMO, it's not worth the extra effort for the small gain - a gain that will be realized within the MLT anyway.

Thanks for all the responses. Will look at my local whole foods and if not go with the instant grits.

no one wants to go the kellogg's corn flakes route?

I would go frosted flakes to bump up the abv.

IF you dont mind cooking the corn before the mash you can pick up cracked corn very cheap at the grocery store in the bird feed aisle. My local Best Feeds (which is a garden/landscaping chain) sells cracked corn for .50/lb. They also sell raw (unmalted) wheat for around the same price. Whole Foods used to sell unmalted rye, but discontinued it months ago. Im still looking for a cheap bulk source to replace it.

I cook the cracked corn for about 30 mins with the same process I use for rice. Wheat & rye gelatinizes at mash temps so I just toss it in the mash.

Back