Flaked Barley or Wheat dry extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjcortez

Reaction score
I'm creating a recipe for an APA and have read in several places now that an addition of flaked barley or wheat extract will help with head creation and retention.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this. Which one, how much or don't bother?

I'm leaning towards a pound of flaked barley in with my grain bill including 6 row.

Thanks in advance as always.

Im no expert here - my first time using flaked barley is in the fermenter now - but from what ive read, most seem to recommend staying under 5% for the barley in an attempt to avoid chill haze. For my recipe, that put me right at 1/2 lb in the mash

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Im no expert here - my first time using flaked barley is in the fermenter now - but from what ive read, most seem to recommend staying under 5% for the barley in an attempt to avoid chill haze. For my recipe, that put me right at 1/2 lb in the mash

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Thanks. 5% would put me at 6.7 oz

I've used flaked Barley before but only on darker beers. Haze was why I wanted to stay away from the wheat.

Back