Fixable? Bottle slight gusher, tastes yeasty & sugary, sediment collecting in glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eko

Reaction score
I opened the first bottle of a recent batch today that gushed a little bit. It smells bready, yeasty. It tastes very sugary, and with some yeasty aftertaste. And a layer of sediment collected on the bottom of the glass. An eighth to a quarter inch or so over the course of an hour.

I realize it's not a good sample, and the next one might be different. This bottle was the last one from the batch so it may have had some more than normal sediment in it. But if you've seen something like this before or have any thoughts I'm open to suggestions.

What do you think went wrong? Should I be concerned about bottle bombs? Can I do anything to the other bottles to fix this?

Some more about the batch:
It's an ale bock. 13 lbs. of grain, mostly Munich light, 2.5 lbs pilsner, .5 lb carafa III. Boiled for 2 hours with 3 oz hallertauer hops. Pitched Wyeast 1007.

OG 1.074
FG 1.020

Total fermentation time was a couple days over 4 weeks. Pitched at around 60F. It fermented in a room with ambient temps at 55F. A probe attached to the outside of the carboy showed after 24 hours it was 63F. One day later it was 62F. It was very active, I had to attach a blow off tube which I left on for about 10 days. Over the course of two weeks it slowly dropped to 60F and it held fairly steady there for most of the next two weeks. Only in the last 5 days (out of about 33) did it sink below 58F. On bottling day it was 56F.

I bottled with 106 grams of sugar. I thought I had a little over 5 gallons, but it turned out to be 4.5 gallons, maybe a hair under.

It's been in the bottle for a week in the room at 55F. I put this bottle in the fridge for four hours before opening.

Before bottling, the sample I took was very smooth, light caramel with a slight breadiness and pleasant malt odor.

It's been in the bottle for a week in the room at 55F. I put this bottle in the fridge for four hours before opening.

There is your problem. Get the temp up to 70 if you can and give it more time for the carbonation to fully form, and then stick a bottle in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours. Longer is even better. This helps get the carbonation into the beer.

Opening a beer that has only been in the bottle a week and without enough refrigeration will almost always foam up.

Thanks. And the excess yeast smell and odd flavor, you'd expect that to be solved as well?

AFter a few weeks and then a couple of days in the fridge, the yeast will drop out of suspension and end up at the bottom of the bottle. Now what is happening is when you open the beer and it starts to gush it mixes everything up and gets it back into suspension.

The flavor will also improve. That is why it is called bottle conditioning.

Patience, patience, patience.........

Patience and careful handling. With 4 weeks or more to ferment and settle, I would not expect that much sediment. Belgian yeasts are known to flocc poorly, but with normal handling procedure, you will get a slightly cloudy beer, not measureable sediment in the bottle.

Add sugar priming solution to bucket, rack beer into it, being careful to NOT disturb the stuff on the bottom of the fermentor. If you move the fermentor, do it gently to keep that stuff from being stirred up.

The less stuff you pick up with your siphon, the less stuff you have in each bottle!

Allow 2-3 weeks at 70 or so for the bottles to carb before judging. Even longer for certain styles.

Back