Fitting airlocks to the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickrjsmith

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just using a primary for my real ale.

I normally add the airlock right off and leave for 10 days. Then I open, add some dry hops and close again for another 5 days or so.

My question is, should I not put the water airlock on straight away? Would it be better to leave the hole in the top for a few days then add the bung? Or is it good to fit it right off?

You want it there in the stages before krausen and after to prtect the opening from potential vacationing flora. Once there is sign of active fermentation the airlock is less signifigant a safety measure and more an insurance and maintenance issue (depending on vigour of fermentation).

check out Brewing TV episode 4 - Open Fermentation. They simply add their wort to their bucket, leave the lid off and let it go, claiming that the CO2 rising to the surface immediately provides a protective barrier... not sure that it's that quick a process, but if you can whip enough of a foam to the surface during aeration, and skim off the top of the krausen occasionally like they do... well, you never know.

http://www.brewingtv.com/episodes/?currentPage=5

Latest posts

Back