Fishing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally made it down to Lake Cumberland for a few days. Striper fishing was slow (still spawning) but we managed a couple of nice fish along with a slew of great eating channel cats...

83EDB013-14D9-4EF0-BCC0-B5FAF95A37A8_zpsqiyqwter.jpg

0E96D6A7-E9F2-43B7-AA1D-1EEF13F9390E_zpswgarqakg.jpg

F20369A5-0077-4594-A82D-65A64C521440_zps56vri8kc.jpg

2CAB167B-EBD1-477F-9460-8EFB62A6FE6D_zpsxulazeoa.jpg

Dinner tonight! Went fishing yesterday - cloudy but warm, got enough littler guys for a meal. (15" walleye and sauger, 12" walleye and a lone 7 1/2" bluegill.)

We figured it will be the last 70 degree day around here for a while, and it's crazy to have one this late anyway.

nov fish.jpg

I really enjoy fishing. I grew up in central Illinois fishing at a ski lake for most of the summer. Now I'm in the Air Force stationed in Dayton, OH and haven't been fishing as often as I want. I got orders to Los Angeles AFB last week and will be moving in the spring. I guess I'll have to learn saltwater fishing. Any tips for fishing near LA?

In Delaware strippers & blues are big but were somewhat elusive, first cast at the Florida beach close to my house I caught one of those barracuda!

I'm out before dawn every morning & catching 3-4 varieties most mornings for breakfast. Brewing on my electric 10 gallon rig twice a month will happpen next month when I'm done packing up my D.C. House. Life is good!

Tis the season to get this thread going again!

I'm headed up to Northwestern Ontario on Thursday. CANNOT wait to get a line in the water. Looking forward to some lake trout and walleye. Might keep a few northern pike to make chowder out of as well.

I'll agree. A couple weeks ago I went to my old fishing hole in the UP. Hadn't been there for about 10 years ,other than water level nothing really has changed .

Caught about 80 plus panfish over two days.

But the highlight of the trip was when we hit a rock with the motor and broke the shear pin. Since we were not near civilization we tried to fix it and found an old tent spike that someone left at our site. Heated it up with a torch and struck it with a hatchet. Fit in there perfect.

Not a fun situation but a good story.

View attachment 1497843506525.jpg

I meant to post these last year but forgot to. Here's me with a large mouth I caught. SWIMBO, her sister, and my nephew caught the rest at a pond Near Foley Alabama last year. They were real tasty!

Bass #1.jpg

Bass #2.jpg

Just got back from the Outer Banks.

My son and I did a day trip about 40 miles offshore. We caught a ton of fish. We caught some good sized Sea Bass, Porgis, Chocolate Porgis, and Grunts. We took them back to the cottage we were renting and grilled them all for dinner along with some clams and fresh shrimp. Our haul fed 15 people. The Sea Bass was the best obviously. The Porgi was good, but man do they have a lot of bones. The Grunts were a little oily, but I like oily fish. Some people didn't care for them as much.

Some photos fishing from the kayak.

sea bass

IMG_0794.jpg

Dinner the other night (2 porgies)

IMG_1478.jpg

Hard to believe this is a mere 25 miles from Manhattan in one of the worlds most densely populated suburbs

IMG_1480.jpg

Tons of bunker these days, but no blues or stripers hitting them yet. Snappers/cocktail blues should be around by now. Blues and Stripers should arrive end of next month.

got out to anderson ranch last weekend, and the kokanee where slamming. We got 44 on saterday, and left sunday at 1030 with another 27. all went in the smoker a few days ago

20245460_1479370618775506_3858241977955858205_n.jpg

20246486_1479370682108833_635558349194374119_n.jpg

20170723_151254.jpg

Went up to the Eastern Sierra in July for a long weekend. Big group, about 30 total.

The biggest fish was caught by a 13 year old girl on a Barbie pole.

The fly-snobs were indignant.

Years ago knew a pro sport fishing captain who ran a private 65' custom built sport fishing boat. The owner was determined to set the next Wahoo world record with this custom boat, custom built lures, private pro captain...and was spending big bucks to do it. I got to fish on the boat for a few days in the Bahamas while the captain waited for the owner to arrive. Cost to run the boat for that week was about $6,500...just screwing around waiting for the boss to show up (not including captain's salary, insurance, etc...).

Shortly thereafter, a new Wahoo world record was set...by a 16 y.o. girl on a family vacation, who didnt really want to go fishing that day.

Often wonder what happened the boat after that day! :mad:

Years ago knew a pro sport fishing captain who ran a private 65' custom built sport fishing boat. The owner was determined to set the next Wahoo world record with this custom boat, custom built lures, private pro captain...and was spending big bucks to do it. I got to fish on the boat for a few days in the Bahamas while the captain waited for the owner to arrive. Cost to run the boat for that week was about $6,500...just screwing around waiting for the boss to show up (not including captain's salary, insurance, etc...).

Shortly thereafter, a new Wahoo world record was set...by a 16 y.o. girl on a family vacation, who didnt really want to go fishing that day.

Often wonder what happened the boat after that day! :mad:

LOL! I bet the captain was a mite bit put out.... to say the least. :)

Headed to Sekiu WA this morning with Crazyeyes. Salmon in the Straits of Juan de Fuca are starting to pop!

20160526_061842.jpg

Love to fish from my Wilderness 12' kayak. After destroying the first one on the river I have started using the 12' for lakes and switched to a cheap 10' beater for the rocky river trips. Some shots from the river and a nice smallmouth.
402-68347.jpg

393-68346.jpg

326-68345.jpg

4511-68344.jpg

I just bought a baitcasting reel. Anyone have experience with these? It's something new to me.

I played around with the spool control, trying to eliminate the birds nest of line during casting. It's a pretty tricky reel. I've got a Michigan fishing trip coming up and I was hoping to use it for bass, but after some awful testing in my pool, I might also bring along one of my trusty spinning reels.

Back