First Yeast Washing, feedback? [photos]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisjohnbrown

Reaction score
I followed a yeast washing tutorial, and I think it went well.

Boiled and sanitized everything. Poured leftovers in fermenter and water into large jar, shook, and it separated. I poured the liquid into three jars, and there was definitely a thick layer of trub/gunk on the bottom that didn't move. Everything looks great, and I feel like it went well.

My confusion, though, lies in looking at the images of other people's harvests. They have an incredibly tiny layer of white yeast cells others seem to get. Examples: see koaps post at the bottom, Bernie's last photo

After letting them settle overnight in the fridge, my jars have a really thick layer of what I thought was yeast, but now am not really sure. The two photos I include seem to have a thin layer between the liquid and the bottom, but that only seemed to be there after moving, so I thought it may be from sloshing it up the sides, making it less opaque.

Anyway, are these viable yeast cells, all of it, or is there a problem and I have jars of trub?

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

That darker (and larger) bottom layer is still trub. The thin creamy layer is the yeast. You can wash it again to just get the yeast.

Yep. The yeast is suspended in the clear stuff. That is what you ware wanting.

I have also just started yeast washing, and I got the same results as you. A thick layer of apparent trub and then a very thin layer of white and a nice crystal clear liquid on top.

Now if I were to assess how much yeast slurry I have, would I measure only the volume of white?

ForumRunner_20120222_220200.jpg

that's actually yeast rinsing, yeast washing is done with acid. but you know, just technicalities :cross:

Back