First yeast harvest ... question about layers/stratification.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHP

Reaction score
I harvested the yeast cake from a ten gallon batch of belgian pale (1.053 og), and put it along with 2.5l sterile water into an erlenmeyer flask so that it will separate and i can harvest just the yeast.

it has been separating for about an hour, and the top part seems to be a foamy krausen like layer ... is this normal?

Here is a pic:

IMG_20120423_113043.jpg

I harvested the yeast cake from a ten gallon batch of belgian pale (1.053 og), and put it along with 2.5l sterile water into an erlenmeyer flask so that it will separate and i can harvest just the yeast.

it has been separating for about an hour, and the top part seems to be a foamy krausen like layer ... is this normal?

Here is a pic:

IMG_20120423_113043.jpg

Maybe just a ton of CO2 coming out of solution? Why are you waiting an hour? Just curious.

Looks pretty good to me. I get a big bubbly layer like that on top often. I cold crash mine to help things drop out of solution and that layer usually dissipates over several hours.

Looks pretty good to me. I get a big bubbly layer like that on top often. I cold crash mine to help things drop out of solution and that layer usually dissipates over several hours.

Yeah it seems to be like a foam ... we will see what happens in a few hours.

The layers are already separating quite a bit...

Yeah it seems to be like a foam ... we will see what happens in a few hours.

The layers are already separating quite a bit...

I think you are likely waiting to long. Even if you can't see the clear layers, go ahead and decant. It you wait several hours, your yeast are going to start dropping out too.

Here's everything I know about Yeast Washing....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-revisited-318684/

Basically, the first step of yeast washing is to mix the "dirty yeast" with sanitized/sterilized water into a solution.

Second step is to wait about 30 minutes until you decant off or, preferably, siphon off the upper liquid into as many sanitized/sterilized containers [mason jars, baby food jars, etc.] as you have of liquid solution.

Third step is to put the containers in a refrigerator for a few days (at least over night) and see the yeast.

Final step is to decant the upper "dirty water" or "light beer", bring to room temperature with properly sterilized water that's cooled to room temp.... and PITCH!!

Here's everything I know about Yeast Washing....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-revisited-318684/

Basically, the first step of yeast washing is to mix the "dirty yeast" with sanitized/sterilized water into a solution.

Second step is to wait about 30 minutes until you decant off or, preferably, siphon off the upper liquid into as many sanitized/sterilized containers [mason jars, baby food jars, etc.] as you have of liquid solution.

Third step is to put the containers in a refrigerator for a few days (at least over night) and see the yeast.

Final step is to decant the upper "dirty water" or "light beer", bring to room temperature with properly sterilized water that's cooled to room temp.... and PITCH!!

Thats what I ended up doing ... although I am yet to pitch anything :)

Back