First Wort Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saboral

Reaction score
First wort hopping is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I didn't believe at first that it would make a difference, but I would argue that it brought my IPA to the next level. Rather than the hops hitting me in the face like a hammer they were rounded, I dare say more blended into the beer. What's the science behind FWH? What makes it "mellow" so much better?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

You sir have peaked my interest once again. Here is what I have found

"First Wort Hopping is not a new method, but is in fact an old one from Germany that was largely forgotten until Priess, Neuremburg and Mitter published an article on it in 1995 (Brauwelt International, Vol IV, p 308). The method was originally used by brewers at the beginning of the century to enhance bitterness rather than overall flavor. Adding hops to the wort early in the sparging process reduced the Ph of the mash, which enhanced isomerization of later hop additions, increasing overall hop utilization during the boil."

Source: http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/17/the-first-wort-hop-beer-brewing-techniques/

Sources vary, but most testing indicates that first wort hopping will increase the number of International Bitterness Units (IBUs) by as much as 10%. Given the hop shortage I wrote about earlier, increased utilization is an added bonus. However, taste perception is different. In blind taste testing across a number of articles, the overall flavor of first wort hops is perceived as smoother, less sharp, and had a more pleasing aroma. Hop bitterness was perceived as harmonic and uniformly bitter. In blind taste tests, the FWH were preferred by 11 of 12 test subjects.

Source: http://www.brewery.org/library/1stwort.html found on first source's page

Hope that was what you were looking for.

Last edited:
I only have about 20 batches under my belt since March, but I've used both FWH and ~60-min boils, all with hop-forward beers, and seem to consistently prefer the flavor of FWH!

I only have about 20 batches under my belt since March, but I've used both FWH and ~60-min boils, all with hop-forward beers, and seem to consistently prefer the flavor of FWH!

Do you agree that they are generally smoother and more complex?

I wouldn't put too much stock in FWH adding a major difference to your beer. I have switched to this method due to the discussion around more hop aroma, smoother, etc.

Never really seen a major difference. I now do it out of convenience. Most of my beers are more than a 60 minute boil and its just easier to toss the hops in at the start

Back