First wort hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave it in. I don't use hop bags for most beers, so I throw the hops in with the first runnings and never take them out.

I left mine in. Ive just tasted my first FWH brew and its pretty good. Very smooth for the amount of hops and projected IBUs. I think the calculations are made keeping the hops in through the boil. Not sure if your using brew software though.

What hops are you using btw?

Leave it in. If you added hops without a bag they would be present throughout the boil. I prefer to bag my hops if there is a significant amount so I don't lose too much beer to the trub.

I left mine in. Ive just tasted my first FWH brew and its pretty good. Very smooth for the amount of hops and projected IBUs. I think the calculations are made keeping the hops in through the boil. Not sure if your using brew software though.

What hops are you using btw?

I'm using columbus for a scotch ale. Not ideal, I know, but I don't have any low AA hops so I'm hoping FWH will mellow it. I'm using an ounce as my only addition. Brewing software calculates 55 ibu but this is going to be 8.5abv so I think the perceived bitterness will be much lower. Thanks for the help everyone

Mine is just over 40 IBUs and doesnt taste that bitter. FWH does some interesting things to the beer with the reaction of oils and wort at that temperature, changes the chemical balance or something. Read a good article on it somewhere. Worth a whirl definitely but want to do a comparison at some point with an identical beer that hasnt had FWH.
Anyway, hope it turns out well for you

Back