First wort completed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhackedBear

Reaction score
Did my first batch last night. I would say overall it went pretty well but not without a few hiccups. Was following along the steps in Palmer's How to Brew in the first chapter.

First one I don't think is that big of a deal but I started the yeast when I got to the step but did not realize it said 20 mins before pitching. But after doing some research seems like the yeast would be fine since it sat for about an hour or lil more.

Second mishap the one I am the most concerned about is after I moved the pail downstairs I was putting the air lock on and I guess I didn't know my own strength and pushed the grommet through the hole. Of course it didn't float. Went back upstairs got the brew pot and poured the wort into the pot until I could retrieve the grommet without gettin my hand all up in the wort. After I retrieved it I used some sanitizing solution and rubbed the grommet and lid (both sides) back down. I put everything back into place and secured the air lock.

Now its been about 20 hours and I have not seen signs of fermentation. the basement is sitting around 63 at the moment. Do I need to move it to a warmer location? Thought Palmer said 55-65 for ales. Did I not start the yeast right? It was really just a re-hydration. Too much risk of contamination? When should I get worried?

Now

It was really just a re-hydration.

if you pitched dry yeast that is all you do, you do not make a starter because there is no need

at 62 degrees it may take a bit of time to get going but it will

I just pitched some Nottingham at 62 and it took all of 24 hours to get going

I wouldn't move it when the yeast start working it will raise the temperature on its own and it will be in a good place

all the best with your brew

S_M

lol dropping the gasket into the wort is a rite of passage. What was your OG and what yeast did you use?

It's hard not to fret after 12 hours going into 24, but really it doesnt mean that its not fermenting because there's no airlock movement if thats the sign of fermentation you're looking for. Even if it was contaminated by some bacteria I don't think that would stop it from fermenting.

I would not move it to a warmer place because when it does get going the temperature is going to increase considerably. Do you have a fermometer on it?

I am not sure on the yeast. I used the Brewers Best Irish Stout kit so what ever was in that. Does not say on the instructions, just a sachet of yeast.

I don't have a fermometer on it, I just have it sitting on the lid. I haven't decided where to put it. Maybe I should just get one for all of my buckets and carboy.

OG was a lil difficult to read after aerating the wort a lot of thick foam was created. But I estimated it at 1.050 maybe a lil lower of 1.048ish? Had hard time trying to figure out how to read it and compensate for the foam.

If you spin the hydrometer, it can help to clear out the bubbles.

I think the Brewer's Best kits mostly come with US-05 (although it's been a while since I made one). A stout is a great choice for a first beer, since they're generally flavorful enough to cover up lots of mistakes. :D

If it was US-05, that's an extremely forgiving yeast, I use it all the time. It can take 24 hours or so till you see activity, especially if it's on the cooler side.

I am not sure on the yeast. I used the Brewers Best Irish Stout kit so what ever was in that. Does not say on the instructions, just a sachet of yeast.

I don't have a fermometer on it, I just have it sitting on the lid. I haven't decided where to put it. Maybe I should just get one for all of my buckets and carboy.

OG was a lil difficult to read after aerating the wort a lot of thick foam was created. But I estimated it at 1.050 maybe a lil lower of 1.048ish? Had hard time trying to figure out how to read it and compensate for the foam.

I bought a non-contact infrared thermometer. It works on all fermenters (and on the wall, the car, the bearings on my equipment, etc) and it costs a little more than 5 fermometers. I love that thing.:rockin:

The best part is that I can read the temperature of the fermenter across the room, even if it is a dark room. No more getting down on my knees to see that fermometer. I'm getting too old for that.

Well if you followed How To Brew then i'm sure you aerated your wort. Aeration, pitch temp and pitch rate can all effect how fast your wort starts fermenting and of course the quality of the beer, I wouldn't be too worried unless you pitched hot or the yeast is old.

If after a couple days you have no action and you are sure there are no leaks on the cap then you may want to buy some yeast and pitch that. Moving forward, I wouldn't pitch yeast that doesnt have a date on it.

I may look into one of those thermometers, may have to wait a bit since I just bought all of this equipment. I looked a the date of the malt but not the yeast should of did that. The malt extract was pretty new I believe it was Oct 13(2013 for sure), so hopefully the yeast wasn't that old.

As for aeration I had it go through a strainer and did the back and forth 4 times, I should say 5 because I had to retrieve the grommet. The pitching temp I did not take a read guess I should of. But the wort was chilled to 70 and I poured the rest of the water in witch should of been room temp (68) so by the time I pitched the yeast the wort should have been room temp.

I think I found the problem. Went downstairs after work and when I got by the fermenters it had a faint smell of beer. So I checked the lid it didn't budge, I then checked the airlock. Pushed on it a bit some air went through it and a couple seconds later some bubbles went through it. So, I think I am good now.

Well it took me some time but I finally finished my first batch.

sIh4BV0kEIZ44JfVEzjtQTCIfHc-ctU7IBqL2-97GcI=w96-h144-p-no

Now I am trying to think what brew up next. I am thinking of a Heffe / Wheat.

Back