First use of Cali Common yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aonghus

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing my first Cali Common tomorrow.
I am not terribly concerned with style guidelines for this beer as I just want to make something drinkable with that yeast.

To that end I picked up two tubes of WLP810 and have that on the stirrer (2 liter starter); I oxygenated the starter wort with pure 02 and added some yeast nutrient.

I plan on making 7 gallons of beer (15 gallon kettle).
I am looking for some advice on which hops to use in this beer.
This is what I have on hand: Cascades, Centennial, Willamette, Citra, Simco, EKG, Warrior, Saaz (only 1 oz) and Belma (never used this hop before).

My intitial thought was as follows:
1/2 oz warrior @90 #These are 2 years old(refrigerated).
2 oz Cascade @20
1 oz Willamette @fireout

Grain bill: 15LB 2row, .5LB Crystal 40, .5LB Victory
Mash at 154F 60 minutes followed by batch sparge
Boil 90 minutes (vigorous)
wirlfoc
Oxygenate 60 seconds pure 02
Pitch @60

Primary 5 weeks and take a gravity reading and keg if FG has been reached.
Prime in the keg with DME and wait another 4 weeks.

I am not sure if the Alpha acid at 17 would still be correct for the two year old hops. If some of the acids are gone, I would need to up the amount.

I am open to suggestions on the hops and the hop schedule; or any other
part of the process.
I have time to head to the LHBS if none of the above hops suggest themselves for this beer.

I don't know much about this style, but I checked Designing Great Beers, and many people use Northern Brewer for bittering and Cascade for flavor and aroma.

Bitter with whatever, it doesn't really matter. But for flavor/aroma use Cascade.

Cluster is traditional, but the closest you have is cascade.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and swung by the HBS (any excuse to head over there) and picked up some Magnum for bittering (going to toss the old warrior and Apollo hops) and some Northern Brewer. I decided to stick with an ingredient (Northern Brewer) that is well known to work with this yeast; at least for my first go around with it.
So now I have 7 gallons with an OG of 1.058 bubbling away at 64ish F. The 1.8 liter starter just took off in the oxygenated wort (pitched at 18:00 and checked this morning at 08:00). The room temp holds steady at 60-61 degrees (guest bathroom).

Back