First two batches, 1 active, 1 not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandenn

Reaction score
So I'm brewing my first two batches and I have a question about each.

Storage closet with fermenters is at 69-70 degrees consistently.

Story:
Batch 1, brewing the Autumn Amber Ale from MidwestSupplies. After transferring to primary, bubbled the next morning, 24 hours later no more bubbles from airlock. Waited 5 days, transferred to secondary. When I went to bottle in the secondary, I realized that I was sent the wrong carboy bung and couldn't plug it. To suffice for the time being, I covered with a plastic baggy and taped shut with medical tape. As soon as the right bung comes in (should be today or tomorrow), I'll be able to check the FG.

Question:
So if the FG is still high and not moving should I pitch more yeast? How do you decide how much more yeast to add?

Story 2:
Second batch, had to start it because my primary was empty! This was a Brewers Best IPA kit (gift from my Mother for Christmas). Finished the boil last night, pitched the yeast, bubbling every few seconds in the morning when I left for work. Come home from work, the lid is obviously highly pressurized domed a bit, and foam is squirting out of the airlock.

Question 2:
Should I relieve the pressure? Clean the airlock? Or just let it do it's thing?

I know I need to relax and have a homebrew but these are my first two batches, can't do that yet! :)

My wife is already giving me the "I swear if that beer explodes all over that closet...." Any advice is well appreciated!

You shouldn't have move it to "secondary." Most of us here don't use a secondary and leave our brews in the primary for 3-4 weeks then straight to bottling or kegging. How far off is the FG?

Most of us connect a tube to the airlock in case the beer explodes, it doesn't really go all over the place. How much headspace is there? If there's plenty, I would just leave it alone.

If your airlock is clogged with krausen and the lid of the bucket has begun to bulge you better do something to relieve the pressure pretty soon or you will be scrubbing the walls, ceiling, floor, and anything else that is in the room. For starters, drape a towel over the top of the bucket and grasping the airlock through the towel, pull it out and let the krausen excape. The towel will need to be washed when done. You could rig a blowoff tube but with the activity you apparently have, just leaving the towel draped over the bucket should be OK since there is so much stuff coming out that nothing harmful will be able to fight its way in. In a day or two the activity will subside and you can clean and sanitize the airlock and reinsert it.

Latest posts

Back