First try - Ready to bottle? (Still cloudy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TManiac

Reaction score
So I started some cider ~ 3 & 1/2 weeks ago (Nov 6th). All juice and Nottingham.

It fermented a bunch etc, seemed cool... was planning to bottle after 3 weeks, but it was still pretty cloudy and there was a tiny bit of airlock activity.

I took a sample on the 28th. SG was 1.011... the OG was 1.05. Though it has cleared somewhat (I can tell at the edges at the top of the carboy) it is far from clear. Tasted ok.

What should I do? Wait? Bottle away?

Is the cloudiness simply due to lack of secondary fermenter or is it still going? The airlock bubbles still, but very very infrequently.

Coming up on 4 weeks now and I'd like to bottle. I have a secondary available, but ideally I want to bottle this batch, then get another going, which will see some time in the secondary.

Thanks
TMANIAC

Should mention, I don't really care about the esthetics... some cloudiness doesn't bother me. Just want to know if its ready.

My ciders don't get bottled for 6 months or more, and don't get opened for 6 months after that. Why are you in such a rush to bottle? You state it is cloudy. That's clearly proof that it is too soon.

If you want to make more cider use another vessel. It sounds like you already have a secondary...use that to make more cider in, and leave this batch alone.

This is a game of patience and we are rewarded with great tasting stuff.

Hell last time I tried serving folks cider less than 3 months old they refused it.

you should wait. if you want to you could move to secondary to get it off the lees
If you bottle now you may end up with bottle bombs.

This may give you some more incentive to wait.

I have been brewing cider for somewhat over a year, and I haven't found anything that I've made that doesn't suck (nekkidness and straws not withstanding), and I was feeling pretty dismal about the whole thing. Until I came across one that had been overlooked in my disgust. I figured I'd better drink it, or at least sample it, to complete my degradation. It was surprisingly good. Really, really good. My faith in humanity was restored, and more importantly, my self-respect. So WHAT if the first batches tasted like sump water? So WHAT if small animals passed out from the smell? So WHAT if I could successfully use it as a rodenticide? Eventually, even *I* could make something ... remotely drinkable.

So I haven't given up. My patience hasn't gotten a LOT better, but now I can see what they were talking about when they kept saying to LEAVE IT ALONE.

If your results are like mine, you'll be pretty blah about the out-of-the-vessle results, and at 3 months, not much better. Bottle them. Hide them. Lock them up. Forget about them. Start another batch, on blind faith if you have to. Then start another. Set a timer or mark your calendar, or even do a Google reminder. Open one of the original puppies up and give it a sample. Compare it to the batch you're getting ready to bottle. It'll make it easier to salt them away for another day.

Ok, I will try to not drink it!

I have a few other questions though... What is a typical length for a primary for cider? And how long can I leave it in the primary without off flavors?

Thanks guys
TMANIAC

Ok, I will try to not drink it!

I have a few other questions though... What is a typical length for a primary for cider? And how long can I leave it in the primary without off flavors?

Thanks guys
TMANIAC

typical or practical are 2 different things here.

you will be fine with it in there for 6 months, just keep the airlock filled. It will condition faster as bulk opposed to bottling it at a month or 2.

So... I am also new to cider making. I have 3 gallons of cider started. 2 gallons of real cider and 1 gallon of 100% pure apple juice. Each gallon is in a 1 gallon glass carboy. Do they stay in the primary with the air lock for 6 months? If so, im cool with that.

Also, I'd be surprised if it is finished fermenting. Every one of my ciders have gone to 1.000 or less. 1.011 seems very high especially given it started at 1.050. I would be afraid to bottle cider at that SG.

Thanks a bunch guys...

Took another reading yesterday... Its about 1.009-1.01 ish, so I guess its coming down.

Not in a rush, but still a few Qs.

humann_brewing above said I can leave it up to 6 months... is that ON the yeast cake?

I also pushed in a bung by accident when i was changing airlocks. It was wet and I guess I was a bit overzealous so *splooosh!* Likely to affect anything?

Does a secondary buy me anything or should I just bottle from the primary when its ready?

Finally, how clear is clear? The cider now looked totally clear in the thief but through a tumbler it was a bit hazy. Will it basically be as clear as the store bought pasteurized juice I put in?

Thanks from a NOOOOOOOOOB

TMANIAC

Hate to bump my own thread, but I need help...

I ended up racking to secondary to get it off the stopper...

It has sinced become crystal clear, but the SG is still 1.009.

Is there any way it could be done or is it stuck?

Thanks
TMANIAC

I suppose it could be done - I wouldn't expect a stuck fermentation with starting at 1.050 and using a packet of dry yeast. I am just surprised because I would love to have my ciders finish that high - like I said before all of mine end up at 1.000 or below. As far a clarity - it will get clearer with time - pretty much crystal clear if given long enough. Whether you are willing to wait is up to you.

Thanks for your reply JLem...

Is there any way to determine if it is done?

I was planning to bottle carbonate... would that be pretty risky? Its pretty enjoyable still, so I could do that.

It is bascially crystal clear already... it was sort of clear for a while, but now I can easily see right through the carboy without haze.

Thanks again
TMANIAC

Thanks for your reply JLem...

Is there any way to determine if it is done?

I was planning to bottle carbonate... would that be pretty risky? Its pretty enjoyable still, so I could do that.

It is bascially crystal clear already... it was sort of clear for a while, but now I can easily see right through the carboy without haze.

Thanks again
TMANIAC

Somehow I missed the part about it being crystal clear already...so ignore that part of my reply (obviously) :eek:

what kind of juice did you use? was it all natural, no sugar added? was it preservative free? At what temp are you fermenting? I might try moving it to a warmer spot if possible. Since you already racked it, I might also consider adding more yeast if nothing happens from just warming it up. If it stays at 1.009 after that then I guess there's nothing to do but call it done and bottle it. Perhaps someone else will have better insight on next steps.

All natural, no sugar added, preservative free. Vitamin C added. It was Allen's apple juice from cans. Popular AJ brand here in Canada, not sure if its in the USA. I didn't add anything either other than the Nottingham.

Its around 68F most of the time, dipping to maybe 65 or so at night.

Nottingham can be used at lager temps too though, so could warming really help?

Thanks again JLem

TMANIAC

Back