First Trip Away from Active Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm on vacation this week. My wife's family has a vacation home in the North Carolina mountains, so we're able to get away while maintaining appropriate social distancing. I have an APA that has just finished up its first week post-brew. I feel the same level of anxiety as I did the first time we left our oldest child at home unsupervised for a couple of hours. "What if my temperature controller fails? What if I have a spontaneous weird infection? What if I have a spontaneous secondary fermentation that boils over? WHAT IF SOMEBODY BREAKS IN AND MESSES WITH MY BEER???"

I feel ya, we're in Boise this week visiting the kids, and I left a beautiful apple/cherry cider in the ferment fridge, on kveik, that had just started really taking off when we left. We have someone watching the house and the pets, but I don't want to get weird and ask her to go take a picture of my fermonster. One more day then it's back home to my own beer.

I love brewing a day or two before we go away for a week. I like to see the fermentation rolling, and then I just leave it on cruise-control. Gives me something to look forward to upon my return. That, and it keeps me from constantly peeking into the fermentation chamber. It makes me anxious to count the days as they go by if I'm at home with it.

Latest posts

Back