First timer needs some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lands11

Reaction score
So I got 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider with the idea of making hard cider. I went with the Ale Pail because it was cheap and convenient. I used Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast based on a recommendation from the employee at the local homebrew store. My idea was to let it ferment in the pail then rack this cider into a glass carboy and let it clear in that for a few months after the primary fermentation was done. The problem I am having is the pail is not airtight and I am seeing no bubbles through the air lock. I peeked in and it is definitely fermenting as krausen has formed and I am smelling a slight yeasty smell.

My main question is how will I know when this is done fermenting? I keep finding conflicting information for the yeast I used.

Finally, I am incredibly ignorant so feel free to correct me/give any helpful advice. I have been wanting to start this cider making hobby for a while now and am just finally getting into it.

I should also mention everything was sanitized extremely well and potassium metabisulfite was added about 30hrs before the yeast was added.

Buy a hydrometer. After you get 3 identical readings at least a day apart from each other, at or below 1.000, it's done fermenting.

Buy a hydrometer. After you get 3 identical readings at least a day apart from each other, at or below 1.000, it's done fermenting.

What would be a rough estimate as to when I should start taking readings? Two weeks? Three?

Don't worry about the bucket not being air tight, your cider will be fine as long as you dont leave it open unneccsarily. Also don't worry about taking too many readings. Your cider will be done fermenting long before its clear and this just increases the odds of infection or takes from your final volume if you don't add the samples back.

When you see the fermentation slow down its time to rack to secondary. This will be indicated by no bubbles on top and the krausen may have fallen back down. After that rack every month or so, after each racking more yeast and debris will settle out until its clear enough for you.

How long ago was it that you pitched the yeast? Bubbles are only one single of fermentation. what was your temp at pitching time and what is your current temp?

I pitched on the 13th, temp was about 65 give or take a degree and it is sitting in a room that fluctuates 65-70.

my two cents. dont even look at it for 4 weeks, then take a reading with a hydrometer.Champagne yeast will eat all the sugar so you should be in the .998 to 1.002 range. the worst thing anyone can do in my opinion is to keep messing abound with it. the yeast know what to do, they've been doing it longer than any of us.

Back