First time winemaker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookwoman

Reaction score
Blackberry, 3lbs berries and 1 gallon water. Got strained this evening added the yeast, pectin enzyme and sugar. Sods law the Demijohns wont take all the liquid so I've had to split the mix into 2. Started popping already :)
29604977201_31cf06d6d0_b.jpg

Not sure if i should leave the victoria plum to fester longer in the bucket beet about 14 days now.
29650580086_bbab1c6b6d_b.jpg

Idk if you should add yeast nutrient to that beautiful blackberry wine or if you should be using Campden tablets but I do know that this specific set of instructions should be carefully heeded, in regards to your Victoria Plum wine:

1. Add a gallon of gasoline.
2. Set it ablaze.
3. Throw it into hell.

After that is taken care of, I highly encourage you to continue to enjoy this wonderful pastime.

Using mums Easymade wine and country drinks by mrs gennery taylor publish date 1977 and following the receipt except for the yeast nutrient. Asked about yeast nutrient and campden tabs in the wine shop and was told didn't need them. I've ordered them just now and should have monday to add to the blackberry. Thanks for the tip.

As for the Plum was just talking with my mum who used to make wine and she said the green mould was good, she always got it and to leave it as long as possible. I'm concerned it will start talking back to me :)

If you have all the necessary minerals in your water, the yeast nutrient isn't necessary, a little just helps the yeast out. Yeast shouldn't have any strain or hard time fighting to survive. Otherwise, it will poop out bad flavors. The Campden is going to kill off wild yeast and bacteria and fungi, as well as dechlorinate your water.

That's crazy looking mold to be drinking. But if mom drank it and loved, go for it. Maybe give it to a professor at some university. They may want to identify it or something haha

Well the 16 year old Damsen, 20+ year old blackberry and apples go down very easy, a bit too easily. Anyone thats every had them drank the bottle in one sitting but I will say what appeared the next morning looked as bad as the mouldy stuff. I wonder if thats where the phrase "feeling moudly" comes from :D

Mouldy - Ireland) very, very drunk After three naggins of vodka I was mouldy.

O how I love blackberry wine, I would highly recommend campden tablets especially if you started with wild Berries. When I first started making BB wine I would get a lot of vinegar until I started using campden then no more problems.

Just be sure you don't leave all that headspace in the 2nd gallon. Put into regular wine bottles after fermentation is nearly done.

Seriously, I got lazy this year and didn't go pick any berries, looking at the pics of your wine has me really regretting my laziness!!!!!! I have 1 bottle of 2yr old BB wine left, I was saving it for Christmas, but I might have to break it out and enjoy tonight.

I used smaller containers for a fruit mix, Blackberry, hip, crab apple, 3 left over victoria plums, sloes, no lifeforms on the top and thats now strained and gone into a demijohn to ferment with yeast etc.
I missed the elderberry damn birds got to the tree first. Have to pick some more hips and crabapples for some more.
29123775573_caa32b3f29_b.jpg

Latest posts

Back