First time washing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
After we bottled our brown ale tonight we washed the yeast for the first time. Hope it worked!

image-905202191.jpg

Send another pic after 48 hours in the fridge. Is like to see what the slurry looks like. Looks great and rich now.

Ya ill post another one tomorrow night or Wednesday morning. Couldn't believe how simple the process was. Now I have to learn how to make a starter....

fayderek14 said:
Ya ill post another one tomorrow night or Wednesday morning. Couldn't believe how simple the process was. Now I have to learn how to make a starter....

I washed lager yeast and it bonded pretty heavily to the trub. I couldn't get much separation so when I washed it i got a tiny tiny amount. I just propagated it on my stir plate the last 4 days with 2 additions of 1 liter dme and water (wort).

I have yet to measure the amount of slurry but looks like i got a good amount. Gonna pitch tomorrow to a high gravity IPL.

image-1013346366.jpg

Build a stir plate. They r a fun DIY project and easy to do. Nintendo is a great enclosure.

image-3532040871.jpg

I am worried about getting trub in my jars when i wash. I have read it is ok but somehow can't believe it. To me i would guess those solids would somehow rot or give off flavors to the new beer. Anyone have any comments on the issue.

I am worried about getting trub in my jars when i wash. I have read it is ok but somehow can't believe it. To me i would guess those solids would somehow rot or give off flavors to the new beer. Anyone have any comments on the issue.

lots of very experienced home brewers reuse slurry right out of the fermentor without "washing" it. do you know of any commercial breweries washing yeast with boiled water? the commercial brewers that i know pump slurry from one tank to the next if they don't use a new pitch of yeast.

If you are going to save this yeast for a few months it would not damage the yeast to do a rerinse, or is it re-rinse?

So I guess this is where I'm confused. What part of these mason jars do I use to make a starter. The liquid or the solid stuff on the bottom?

So I guess this is where I'm confused. What part of these mason jars do I use to make a starter. The liquid or the solid stuff on the bottom?

there is yeast throughout the container but the bulk of it is down in the slurry.

Latest posts

Back