First time using LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
So far I've used DME for every batch I've made, until the other day... I brewed 2 batches on monday and used extra light DME and light LME on the 2nd batch. I added the LME at the beginning of the boil and brewed as usual.

The beer is supposed to be a harpoon ipa clone but it's very dark. I searched on here afterwards and found out that adding LME early will cause the sugars to carmelize and the beer to be dark.

What I was wondering was how much will this affect the taste?

My personal experience is the color is darker, but the flavor is the same. The flavor changes with LME as it gets older, not as it's boiled. Technically, you are following the directions when you boil LME for an hour or so, the flavor better not taste "off".

I have found the bigger "risk" with extract added at the beginning of the boil for taste issues is scorching and the resulting excessively sweet flavors.

You will be fine.

Scorching is usually minimal if you have a half-way good brew spoon and you stir often. It also helps to add the LME to the kettle before you place it on the burner, this gives you enough time to mix in the LME and get it desolved before slamming it with heat.

And with LME, expect your color to be off by at least 4 degrees. Thats just one of the drawbacks to LME.

Back