First time using Lager yeast to brew a Bock - questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
Hello all,

Brewing what i believe to be a simple Bock recipe. 3 Grains, 1 hop and German Lager yeast. Small batch - only 3 gallons.

First small batch, first time using Gigawort brew system and first time using lager yeast.
Brew day went off without too many issues - Biggest one was I broke my hydrometer so I was unable to get an OG reading.
Anyway, I made a starter because the OG was calculated to be 1.072. - yes I like big beers - lol. Starter seemed to go well, let it stir for 2 days and cold crash for one. Decanted and pitched when I got the wort to about 65 degrees.
I ferment in a keg and the brew is now sitting in my keezer/ferm chamber at about 53 degrees. Ive checked and it seems to be fermenting well for the past 2 days.

Now for the questions...

- without having an OG, how will I know how long to ferment?
- Since I ferement in a keg, how would I attempt to get any readings (I need to buy a new hydrometer)
- I usually transfer my brew to a serving keg but Ive read some keep the brew on the yeast until bottling/carbing-serving - is this correct?

Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- without having an OG, how will I know how long to ferment?

Ferment until the gravity stops changing and any off flavors have been cleaned up. Same advice applies if you do know the OG.

- Since I ferement in a keg, how would I attempt to get any readings (I need to buy a new hydrometer)

If you mean "how will I be able to get a sample," that depends on your setup. Perhaps you could describe how your fermentation keg is set up.
If you mean "how will I measure gravity without a hydrometer (or a refractometer)," you can't.

Ferment until the gravity stops changing and any off flavors have been cleaned up. Same advice applies if you do know the OG.
If you mean "how will I be able to get a sample," that depends on your setup. Perhaps you could describe how your fermentation keg is set up.
If you mean "how will I measure gravity without a hydrometer (or a refractometer)," you can't.
My fermentor is a 5 gallon corny keg - usually the only time I get a gravity reading is by putting pressure to the ferementor and use a liquid line with a picnic tap to pour. This usually only happens when Im ready to transfer to my serving keg. I have never taken a reading before I was ready to either bottle or transfer to serving keg (ie - when I feel the beer is done - ready for carb)

My fermentor is a 5 gallon corny keg - usually the only time I get a gravity reading is by putting pressure to the ferementor and use a liquid line with a picnic tap to pour. This usually only happens when Im ready to transfer to my serving keg. I have never taken a reading before I was ready to either bottle or transfer to serving keg (ie - when I feel the beer is done - ready for carb)

Ah. Well, you can take a sample that way any time, assuming you don't have loose hops that might clog the keg's liquid out poppet.

Back