First time using dry yeast (notty)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
anything specific I need to know?

sanitize flask, add warm water, shake around a bot, let sit for a few hours? add to wort?

no starter?

only one packet for a higher gravity beer?

I'm doing bee cave robust porter with added homemade vanilla extract.

I simply follow the hydration instructions on the packet and have had very good results

how do you know it's viable, i have read there were some issues with notty? do you proof it like baker's yeast with some DME?

13-14 grams of rehydrated dry yeast or an appropriate starter.

proofing it with Go-Ferm is not a bad idea.

how do you know it's viable, i have read there were some issues with notty? do you proof it like baker's yeast with some DME?

That was from a specific lot number. If you don't have that number you should be fine. I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

No nead to proof, just rehydrate in some warm, like 80 degree, water for ten minutes or so. I do keep the rehydrating container covered with a piece of sanitized aluminum foil. I usually stir it up at that point, with a sanitized spoon, and give it another ten minutes. The stuff is foaming up usually at that point so I know it's ready to go, but, even if it wasn't, I'd still pitch it and see what happens.

13-14 grams of rehydrated dry yeast or an appropriate starter.

proofing it with Go-Ferm is not a bad idea.

Just to clarify, what TipsyDragon is suggesting is to add a yeast nutrient. I think that would be fine, but you don't need to feed it any DME before hand.

Also, I think those are 11 gram packets so, technically, you're underpitching a little, but I probably wouldn't worry about 2 grams myself.

I recently went back to Notty after the recall, and had blow-off fermentations on every batch using Notty. fermentation started in 5-6 hours on rehydrated batches, and 1-2 hours after pitching on a washed cake.

Latest posts

Back