First Time Using Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
What's the most basic way to add a little coffee flavor into a beer? I was thinking of just running a cup through my Keurig and mixing it with my priming sugar. Anything I should avoid? Caffeine? Etc

What are the benefits of cold steeping? Not asking to be rude, I'm just unfamiliar when it comes to adding coffee in beer.

Also, if adding when bottling, should I still boil the coffee for 15 or so minutes to make sure there's no nasties lingering around? Would this defeat the purpose of the original cold steep?

The cold steeping would lend less possible astringency from the coffee grounds and a cleaner flavor.

If you're adding it at bottling time from a cold steep, I wouldn't worry about boiling. There should be enough alcohol in your beer that it wouldn't stand a good chance of getting infected anyway. I've done the cold steep several times and I just pour it right into the bottling bucket or keg. Works fine.

Believe it or not, a guy from Maryland won our tri-club winter ale competition with his coffee stout. When asked after winning how he added the coffee to the beer, all he said was, "Right before I bottled, I just brewed up a batch of coffee on the machine and poured that sh*t in there once it cooled down." Seemed to work well enough for him, and I can't disagree with his technique - it was a great beer!

I added 8 oz of cold steeped coffee to my stout, didn't quite get the flavor I was looking for and will increase it for next thing. It was a 5 gallon batch, but it already had a lot of roasty goodness, so who knows....

Cold seep about 4 oz of good coffee grounds for 48 hours dump in at flame out for aMild coffee flavor add it before bottling for a stronger flavor

+1. Avoid brewing the coffee, oils from the beans released by brewing hot will kill head retention unless you also add lecithin to emulsify.

Cold brew 4-6 ounces of dark roast beans, course ground, 12 hours or so in filtered or bottled water. In the fridge or on the kitchen counter is fine. I sanitize the containers, etc that I use, but not the coffee beans. Strain and add at bottling time.

If you cold brew, you will keep the coffee flavor nice and smooth with no astringency even using a dark roast coffee. If you add hot brewed coffee or put it in your boil you can wind up over time with a flavor that will remind you of what you'll find in a coffee pot that was brewed hours ago and has been sitting on the warmer. Stale, burnt and acidic.

Back