First time Sour - kind of

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hartlesj

Reaction score
SO, there I was, trying my first Lambic thinking "I gotta try and brew this". A few dollars later I had the American Sours book heading home. But i'm a little adventurous and enjoy learning from mistakes. And I had a few extra buckets lying around that I could use. Can you sense the stalling.

My goal was to try and make a peach/raspberry sour that would be ready around Christmas time. Learn a lot and really just goof off with some brew buddies.

I loosely based this off of CJOHB.

10 lB 2 row.
.5 Lb Crystal 20L
1 Oz of stale Sazz

Mashed at 158 for 60 min (looking for something a little dryer)
Sparged at 170

Tossed in a handful of grain. Kept at 110 for 4 days.
Boiled for 60 min.
OG 048.
Pitched WPL 635.

I intend on letting it sit for a month. Split it into 2 and add about 3-5 lbs of Raspberries to one, and 3-5 lbs of Peaches to the other. Let that sit for a month then rack it off the fruit to secondary until I bottle sometime early November.

After I pitched the Bret/Lambic mix, I read the White labs info on the 635 and it said that I should pitch an ale yeast first, then pitch the 635 in secondary. But the CJOHB called for a blended mix that I assume was the 635. Should I pitch something else with this? Or am I completely off base.

Should I pitch something else when I add the fruit? I'm planning on cutting up the peaches and freezing both then letting them thaw before.

Thoughts?

Back