First time porter – anything you would change?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi all,

It’s the first time that I’m making a porter. Anyone wanna comment on my recipe?

Code:
Style: American Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 35.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
11 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)           Grain         1        79.6 %        
1 lbs                 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain         2        7.2 %         
1 lbs                 Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)               Grain         3        7.2 %         
8.0 oz                Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                 Grain         4        3.6 %         
4.0 oz                Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain         5        1.8 %         
1.0 oz                Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)               Grain         6        0.5 %         
1.00 oz               Northern Brewer [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           7        20.3 IBUs     
0.75 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           8        13.9 IBUs     
8.00 oz               Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 mins)          Other         9        -             
1.00 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        10       -             
2.0 pkg               Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         11       -             

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 13.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 4.57 gal of water at 167.5 F        152.0 F       60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge (4.06gal) of 168.0 F water

Recipe looks pretty good although personally, I would maybe cut the roasted barley, I don't think 1oz will come through that much.

I probably wouldn't use whirlfloc on a porter, not that it would hurt anything, I just don't think it's really needed in a beer that dark.

I also don't think you need 2 packs of Notty I would rehydrate and use only one personally, should be fine for a beer of that gravity.

Should be a good porter with or without these changes, I just like to keep things simple.

I agree w/ mkyl428 on all counts.. the 1 oz of Roasted Barley probably won't add anything to this recipe.

1 pack of Nottingham will probably get the job done on this beer. I would try to keep your fermentation temps in the 62-65F range for the first 4-5 days because that yeast likes to go nuts through primary.

I agree w/ mkyl428 on all counts.. the 1 oz of Roasted Barley probably won't add anything to this recipe.

1 pack of Nottingham will probably get the job done on this beer. I would try to keep your fermentation temps in the 62-65F range for the first 4-5 days because that yeast likes to go nuts through primary.

I will ferment at 59F.

I use 2 packs because they are close to expire and I don't want to take a chance.

looks good. A lot like my stout recipe. with that said, can anyone tell me the diff. between a porter and a stout? because i dont really see any

looks good. A lot like my stout recipe. with that said, can anyone tell me the diff. between a porter and a stout? because i dont really see any

http://www.beerwestmag.com/the-magazine/101-stout-vs-porter/

Gotcha, fam

Although, in my opinion, porters are also very roasty/malty. Being too hop-forward makes them more reminiscent of a brown. Stouts tend to be aged longer and thus the malts come together smoothly, but the extra black malts leave a very dark coffee-bitter note. Porters often have this too (all of mine do, because I love roasty/coffee in porter), but in a more mild way. I think of regular porters like a stout's easy-drinking cousin, and robust porters as...well, my favorite kind of beer :p

Latest posts

Back