First time pitching a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophead2u2

Reaction score
This is the first time that I will be pitching a yeast starter and was wondering when I pour the starter into the wort, should I stir it or just pour it in and leave it?
Thanks for the help.

Shake the starter up before you pitch it - that will get your yeast into suspension. Pour it in and leave it alone.

Depending on the type of beer your making, you might want to decant so you don't get any off flavors. Also, don't forget to aerate your wort before you pitch your yeast.

I don't know if it is right, wrong, or pointless, but after pitching I can never resist giving my carboy a good shake just to mix it up a bit.

I don't know if it is right, wrong, or pointless, but after pitching I can never resist giving my carboy a good shake just to mix it up a bit.

Doesn't matter at all - the yeast will find the sugars and eat them, whether or not you mix them. The yeast will do a much better job of mixing the beer than you can using any method under the sun.

You won't hurt anything with a shake here (might even help, if you hadn't shaken well before) as you will introduce oxygen prior to fermentation.

Don't shake after fermentation starts, though. That will give you oxidized beer, aka liquid cardboard.

If the yeast have settled out of your starter and formed a nice layer at the bottom, you might pour off most of the liquid, then shake up what's left and pour that into your wort.

Back