First time making starter, have a couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMChueston0311

Marine Grunt
Reaction score
Hey guys

First time getting into the yeast side of things. I used a couple calculators (Mr Malty) brewers friend etc, and Im getting different answers.

I have 1 pack of WLP002 from Oct 20, 2018. So its kind of old, calculators are saying 45-50% viability. I have a bunch of quarts of sterilized wort Ive made, a stir plate that can hold a carboy, and 5 L and 2L flasks, plus smaller sizes.

My target pitch day is Tuesday afternoon/evening. When should I start the 1st step with 1 pack and 2L of wort on stir plate? And Do I leave it on plate for 24 hours, crash and decant and then add to another 2L of wort, or go up to 3-4L of wort?

Thank you in advance.

I am also going to innoculate my slants and plates, 1 of each for starting my bank.

Im thinking, when I get home from work tonight around 10 P -11PM, to do 2L step with one pack, and then tomorrow night crash and decant, then monday AM doing the 3-4L step and tuesday Am crash and then bring up to room temp to pitch tuesday night. Does this sound like a good plan? and should i do 3 or a 4L 2nd step?

What OG beer are you making, are you sure you need 2 steps? Using calculators with Kai Troester's stirplate numbers (yeastcalculator.com or Brewer's friend) I'm getting 330 billion cells with a single 2 L step, which should be good enough for 5.5 gals of 1.090 beer.

Re your planned schedule a crash of only 8-10 hrs seems pretty short if you want to fully decant. You might get away with it since 002 flocculates so well but still. I usually allow for a 24 hr crash between steps.

1.058 12 gallons. I need 440B or something similar.

I’m brewing Tuesday but can pitch Tuesday pm or Wednesday am to allow a longer crash.

So I may not have time for full 24 hour decant, but maybe I can just wait to oxygenate in conical and pitch when it’s ready. Could I not pitch the second step at full krausen just decant and pitch?

What timeline would you recommend?

18-24 hours on the stirplate for cell growth. (usually) Then at least 24 hours cold crash. Then the next step.

http://www.yeastcalculator.com/ This calculator says your viability is 18%

I ran your numbers and using K. Troester stirplate calculations I put in a first step of 1.5 liters and a second of 2 liters That gives 510 billion cells.

A single step at 3.5 liters will get you 512 billion cells.

Here is another option. I haven't tried it yet. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24447.msg311550#msg311550

I'd do a 1L step then a 2L step. Each step should finish pretty quick like in 18 hrs at those innoculation rates so you might shave a little time there. I've never not crashed and decanted between steps but I guess you could try that. Or just crash for a shorter time and decant most of the first step depending on how it looks.

Edit: dang, slow typing today. Should have just said ditto the above.

Would it be beneficial for yeast to do 3.5 in two steps? Or just one step? I’ve read it’s better for yeast health to do in steps.

Also my calculator showed 44% viability.

Gonna start 1L tonightncrash Sunday night than 3L Monday night and hopefully pitch at full krausen Tuesday after brewing evening. Sound good?

18-24 hours on the stirplate for cell growth. (usually) Then at least 24 hours cold crash. Then the next step.

http://www.yeastcalculator.com/ This calculator says your viability is 18%

I ran your numbers and using K. Troester stirplate calculations I put in a first step of 1.5 liters and a second of 2 liters That gives 510 billion cells.

A single step at 3.5 liters will get you 512 billion cells.

Here is another option. I haven't tried it yet. https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=24447.msg311550#msg311550

I mean 1.5 decant then 2 and pour at high krausen.

This seems like it is about right.

I added yeast to the wort around 12:30am, it’s now 10am, there’s a small amount of foam on top. Doesn’t look like krausen to me. It’s been stirring all night.

Look abnormal to you?

Attachments

• 2B769083-69E0-42FA-817C-D7285D5E15DB.jpeg
    2B769083-69E0-42FA-817C-D7285D5E15DB.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 46
  • E9381662-9763-4D5A-8E2C-FB9D9ECFB007.jpeg
    E9381662-9763-4D5A-8E2C-FB9D9ECFB007.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 44
You won't get krausen like you see on a full batch of beer. Sometimes you don't even get foam.

It looks good. Watch for the liquid to turn milky. It should look like someone who uses a LOT of milk in a Little bit of coffee.

18 - 24 hours and it should be good to go. You can pitch the whole thing then, or cold crash it to allow you to pour off the starter "beer". That will take 24 hours or more.

I'd do a 1L step then a 2L step. Each step should finish pretty quick like in 18 hrs at those innoculation rates so you might shave a little time there. I've never not crashed and decanted between steps but I guess you could try that. Or just crash for a shorter time and decant most of the first step depending on how it looks.

Edit: dang, slow typing today. Should have just said ditto the above.
Taking a ride ..let me ask you guys. Im doing my first starter also. If I decant only 2hours am I loosing too much yeast? O did It yesterday ...

You mean you only cold crashed 2 hrs then decanted? Yes you likely had a lot of yeast left in suspension. After cold crashing the starter beer should be clear and you should have a dense layer of yeast at the bottom of the flask.

Yes...less than 2 hours i think. O used fermentis US-04 dry yeast. I didnt take any photo, but It was separated in two well defined phases - one a dense layer and other the starter beer not so clarified but clean. The slurry formed had about 1 inch in a 6l Erlenmeyer flask. Is It died yeast?
What do you think about?
You mean you only cold crashed 2 hrs then decanted? Yes you likely had a lot of yeast left in suspension. After cold crashing the starter beer should be clear and you should have a dense layer of yeast at the bottom of the flask.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back