first time larger kit with larger yeast not the ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch10169

Reaction score
hi guys going to try my first larger kit with larger yeast im going with a simply larger kit im adding 1kg of light spray malt and using saflarger s-23 yeast i want to do the proper largering stage too so my questions are do i just ferment the kit out llike any other kit obviously at diffrent temps ? then once fermentation is over is it ok to bottle it to transfer to my freezer for largering or is there an inbetween stage ? also on the back of the yeast is says dosage is 1x11.5 gramms in 10 to 15 litres at room temp or 2x11.5 gramm packs at 11-15 degreese little confusing to me as i thought that 11.5 gramms would b enough for a 23 litre batch which im planning to do any guides or info vids or links will b appreciated greatly thanks

The degrees are Plato, 11 = 1044, 15 = 1060. What the directions are telling you; use the amount of yeast suggested, for wort in the ranges mentioned. Basically, two packs for five gallons. You are attempting a Lager, more yeast is needed.

thanks valdoftrub so to do a larger is the same way as any other kit let it ferment out bottle then larger at 2 degrees for numerous weeks ?

If you are going to ferment at lagering temps, you need to be sure you have enough yeast. Go to a yeast calculator and figure out how many packets you will need. The packet instructions may be accurate but it's best to be sure. It is usually at least twice what you would use for ale.

For fermentation, you will need to start around 50F until your SG is about 80% of the way to your FG (~1.020). Then warm up to 65F-ish for a 3 day d-rest. Then drop 3-4F/day down to 38F-ish for a month or two. Then bottle and carb at room temp and you are good to go.

hi bluehouse thanks for that where u say drop 3-4f/day wat does that work out in celcius as my temp controller is in degrese

Titch, in this case accuracy is not a big deal. Just drop it 3C/day and you'll be fine. Actually, some people just crash straight to lagering temps with no problems. I do a few degrees per day just to play it safe.

cool thanks mate just used a yeast calc and it says ill beed 3 packs of 11.5 grams of yeast if ive done it correctly just used a diffrent calc n that says 1.5 packs

Titch... If you are using syrup or powdered malt, there is no reason to raise the temperature of lager yeast into the range of ale yeast. Diacetyl is rarely an issue and brewers that employ the process don't fully understand why it is used nor what takes place later on, if it is used. When the temperature is raised into the 60F range, the yeast kicks in and burns through nutrients, minerals and fuel, which will be needed to support the yeast throughout the lagering cycle, the beer may need to be krausened. So, adding a rest that probably isn't needed, can lead to adding another step, which wouldn't have been needed.
I haven't used a kit since 1983. However, the only styles I brew are Lager and Pils, using all grain and the tri-decoction method. Depending on the type of Lager that you are brewing, determines how you will deal with the beer throughout the Lagering cycle. If the beer starts out in the 1050 to 1060 range, two months will not be enough time for the beer to reach its peak.

Hi mate so start off at the lower end of the fermentation scale on the yeast ferment till about 1.020 then lower temps for lagering the sg on the kit says 1.040 is it ok to leave in primary for the whole process until bottling ? I use the coopers microbrewery fermenter which has no airlock and isn't a airtight fermenter sorry for been dumb just the amount of different opinions advice experience it's hard to choose where or who to follow with it only been my 3rd brew so really new to brewing the kit also came with an ale yeast so the instructions are not for larger yeast hope this won't b a problem

Latest posts

Back