first time lager yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Hello I'm using Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast in a 1554 clone that I brewed up last night. I made a healthy starter but it seems to be taking off much slower than I'm used to with my normal ale yeast. Is this something that is normal with lager yeast? Is there anything else I should be aware of using lager yeast for the first time? It ferments at 65 degrees which is high for lager yeast but thats what the recipe says to ferment at. Thanks for any info on my first time with this new yeast.

I just started a Oktoberfest lager last week. I used dry yeast without a starter at 55 degrees and it took 72-90 hours before I saw any signs. I believe the yeast I used is a hybrid because it could be fermented at ale temps as well. 65 degrees seems really high for fermenting a lager. I'm sure someone else in here with prior experience with this yeast will chime in.

65 degrees seems really high for fermenting a lager. I'm sure someone else in here with prior experience with this yeast will chime in.

Yea the lager yeast at ale temps is what is supposed to make this recipe unique. The recipe I use for this clone came out of BYO from the New Belgium brewery article.

I don't think 65 is in the temp range for that yeast. If you aren't seeing much action, remember that it's a lager yeast and is bottom fermenting. You may not see much on top like with ale krausens.

Is it supposed to be like a California Common?

No its an old recipe that new belgium brewery supposedly found that was dated with the year 1554. I don't think it falls in any style catagory.

From New Begiums site:

Born of a flood and centuries-old Belgian text, 1554 Enlightened Black Ale uses a light lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be. In 1997, a Fort Collins flood destroyed the original recipe our researcher, Phil Benstein, found in the library. So Phil and brewmaster, Peter Bouckaert, traveled to Belgium to retrieve this unique style lost to the ages. Their first challenge was deciphering antiquated script and outdated units of measurement, but trial and error (and many months of in-house sampling) culminated in 1554, a highly quaffable dark beer with a moderate body and mouthfeel.

I just started a starter of the same yeast, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything, but I know the airlock can be deceptive.

Also, I noticed that the yeast itself had a more, um, distinct odor than what I'm used to. Anyone else know if lager yeast in general is smellier? Or is it bad? It kind of has a sour/pungent, not quite sulphury smell. Actually, I am having a hard time describing it, because it was a sort of normal yeast smell, but much stronger.

I just started a starter of the same yeast, and it doesn't seem to be doing anything, but I know the airlock can be deceptive.

Also, I noticed that the yeast itself had a more, um, distinct odor than what I'm used to. Anyone else know if lager yeast in general is smellier? Or is it bad? It kind of has a sour/pungent, not quite sulphury smell. Actually, I am having a hard time describing it, because it was a sort of normal yeast smell, but much stronger.

Yes, Lager yeast will put off a sulfur smell, not to worry.

Back