First time Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
So, I'm about to attempt to step into the world of Lagers, and I have a question.....I know they require more yeast, I know they require a bit fermenting time(so, I've read)..
so, as far as the primary ferment time goes...
would 3 weeks primary(50-55 range) then 3 days diacetyl be good?
Or should the ferment be longer(than 3 weeks) before I bump the temp?

My comments on my first failed attempt and second successful one.

People tell you to pitch double the cells of an ale. I say 3-4x. Build the biggest starter you can afford to. If you are not doing two steps, you likely are doing it wrong. I also highly advise you to start that two step starter a week before you need it, and cold crash and decant both steps so you get a minimum of starter beer in the the final product.

Other than that, I've had good luck with the so called "quick lager" method, but the guys I know who are big into Lagers tell me it's not as good as aging forever and not to get the yeast up over 52F for any reason. I suppose it depends on what you are doing. I had good luck on my Munich Helles with that method and that is about as difficult as you can go for a Lager.

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

If you decide to bump the temp at all it needs to be when the gravity is 80% or so of expected, so there is yeast left to clean it up! Look at the schedule in the referenced Brulosophy post. If you miss that window you are better off not doing it at all, or back krausening if you have diacetyl. Best of luck with it.

Latest posts

Back