First time lager, question on temp probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntpilsner

Reaction score
So I brewed a Pilsner this past Saturday, and placed my fermentor (bucket) into my freezer that has my new Johnson (analog) control.
I put my brewing thermometer in the freezer to measure air temp (on top of the bucket), and taped the probe to the bucket with some Reflectix insulation on the outside of the probe, and the probe against the bucket wall.
The probe kept coming off the bucket, so the control was actually regulating the air temp of the freezer for awhile. While I have my control set to 50F, the air temp was closer to 48F, so I set the control to 52F.
Yesterday, I finally got the Reflectix and probe to stay on the bucket with the help of a couple of belts.
This morning, with the control still set to 52F, the thermometer measured the air temp at around 44F.

So I guess my question is, is this normal? I don't see any signs of fermentation yet, but I suppose the bucket could be warm enough to make the controller work hard enough to get the air temp to 44F?

Put a bungee cord around the probe/bucket to keep it snug against the surface. Then set the controller to 50F and don't sweat it so much. Brewing lagers is not a "check it every 10 minutes" kind of thing. They start more slowly, ferment more slowly, enjoy slower temp changes (up and down), and appreciate not having lids opened too often.

I use a piece of foam from Lowe’s and make a square pad , I put the temp probe against the carboy the pad over the probe and use duct tape all the way around to secure it. I get pretty close to internal temps within a degree or so.

For the first 48-72 hours or so, fermentation temps are about 4-6* warmer than ambient air. Before I bought my conical with internal temp control I used a keezer for lager brewing. I'd set the temp at 46*. Pretty much all lager yeast will ferment in the 50-55* range. Get one of those stick on thermometers for the bucket after this batch is over. That's what I used and after the beer started to drop to meet ambient, I'd go a degree or two up every day to keep the range until diacetyl rest.

Back