First time lager brewing story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanjints

Reaction score
Well I have brewed many ales and even have 1 mead going right now but never a lager. My dad has pestered me, at why I don't make any beers he likes, for a while now. Don't judge him yet he is far from a BMC drinker. Recently he told me he tried Blue Moon and liked it. Then I told him it is made by Coors and he said he will never drink it again.

Anyway enough backstory. I make a Mai Bock. Brew day went great. Fermentation has gone great. It has fermented a little warmer than I would have liked but I don't mind. Target temp was 53*F and it has spent most of the time around 56*F. It started slow but seems to be very close to finishing. I just took a sample and it was 1.018 started at 1.061. Looks like it is still in the active fermentation stage but winding down and since my FG is 1.014 I thought this would be a perfect time for a Diacetyl rest. Gonna give it 3 days then take another sample. If it is closer to that 1.014 then I am transferring to a carboy and lagering for 6-8 weeks at 35*F or so.

Then I am bottling it all to give to my dad for his birthday. Is there going to be enough yeast left to bottle prime or am I going to have to add some yeast? Not worried about the temps by then it should be warm and I can bottle condition around 70*F.

...It started slow...
What size batch and how much yeast?
If you are pitching and fermenting at lager temps think twice as much yeast as for an ale.

...Is there going to be enough yeast left to bottle prime...
I believe the trick here is that you have to lower the temps to lagering somewhat slowly over a few days so you don't shock the yeast. In which case there should be plenty for carbonation.

In the handful of lagers that I've done, I've never needed to pitch more yeast. I suppose it would be extra insurance if you have yeast on-hand to pitch, but I think it's generally unnecessary. I did not add yeast to a beer I lagered for 2 months and it fully carbed in 2-3 weeks. I have intentionally disturbed (gently) the yeast when racking to the bottling bucket just to make sure some yeast comes along for the ride, but that may not even be necessary.

Don't rack by an arbitrary FG given in a recipe. Wait until the FG no longer changes over three days before racking and beginning the lagering process.

You probably won't need more yeast after lagering, but it won't hurt if you want to add a bit to ensure good carbonation.

If you want to add yeast at bottling, the easiest way (and most predictable) is to boil the priming sugar in water, add that to the bottling bucket and allow to cool. Then sprinkle 1/3 of a package of a dry neutral yeast (nottingham is good, as it forms a nice compact yeast cake in the bottle and has a neutral flavor) in the solution and stir well. Rack the beer into that, and you'll be all set!

Back