First Time Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I'm confused.

Read a bunch threads here, and comments. Looked at a few videos on you tube, but still dumbified.

I already sanitized my 5 gal corn ball lock keg.

When I transfer my IPA into the keg, and right below the gas in tube, according to the chart storing this beer at 36F 2.2-2.59 I should input 10 PSI

I'm going to be putting this keg into my spare upright frig.

Here is where I'm confused.

I set the reg to 10 PSI in the keg "gas in". Pull the release on the keg a few few times to get the oxygen out, 4 to five times?

Do I disconnect the keg from the C02 Tank once it's at 10PSI, or do I keep it connected?

If I keep it connected in the frig am I leaving it connected for say 1 to 2 weeks?

Of do I have this all horribly wrong. My main confusion is one I fill the keg to carb, leave it connected or take it off in the frig.

Sorry for the newb question. I thought I had this down originally, but after watching a few video, the outcomes seem to be different & I'm starting to second guess myself doing this for the first time

Thanks

Last edited:
If you're just setting it to your desired PSI yes you will then need to leave it connected for close to two weeks to carb up. Personally, I prefer to set it to 30psi and leave it at that for about 30-36 hours or so then turn off the gas, lower it all the way, purge the gas from the keg headspace, then turn the gas on and set it to my desired PSI, for my IPA's I do 12psi. Then leave it there for another 5 days and it's good to drink. Lately though I'm going to give a couple more days to cold condition as a few more days helps smooth everything out. When in your kegerator/keezer you leave it connected as the same PSI so the carbonation maintains and also so the gas pushes the beer through the tap.

Rev.

You leave it connected to carb. If you connected it and hit it with some gas and disconnected it you would be doing nothing to carb the beer.
The Co2 needs to get infused into the beer under pressure and that takes time.
When the beer is kicked you can leave it connected or disconnect it...makes no difference. No beer coming out of the keg, no co2 going in...its just a stagnant system sitting there at that point.

I leave mine connected if I have the room just in case any of the connections have a slight leak where it meets the keg I'm not loosing co2 and come back to an empty tank.

No big deal either way its just makes me feel more comfortable leaving it connected

look at the beer co2 volume chart as youve done set it to the 10 psi and you can leave the keg hooked up like that indefinitely without ever over carbing the beer....its a stable system unless you start adjusting the pressure for some reason

As I keep a 5-6 keg pipeline going at all times, I just set the regulator to what ever serving psi I am after for the style and let it sit in the kegerator for 7 -9 days and then it is ready to drink. I never need to rush it.

Thank you so much everyone, I was making it too complicated for myself being the first time while being slow of mind anyway.

One last questions since no one hit on it.

I'm going to just to go with the hook it up, input 10-12psi and let it sit for 10-14 days, maybe the whole 30 PIS and shake rapid use later after I get used to this setup.

But, when I initially input th 10-12 PSI, do I need to pull the release to get out any oxygen, or is this step not really necessary?

Thanks again

Here is what I usually do: let the cO2 fill until it stops, pull the release. I do this about 5 times to try and get most of the oxygen out of the headspace. The cO2 is heavier than oxygen so, in theory it will force the oxygen out.

Thank you so much everyone, I was making it too complicated for myself being the first time while being slow of mind anyway.

One last questions since no one hit on it.

I'm going to just to go with the hook it up, input 10-12psi and let it sit for 10-14 days, maybe the whole 30 PIS and shake rapid use later after I get used to this setup.

But, when I initially input th 10-12 PSI, do I need to pull the release to get out any oxygen, or is this step not really necessary?

Thanks again
It's a minimal thing...if you forget to purge your beer will be fine. People do it as a safety net type thing. "cant hurt so why not"
Nobody testing the air inside a keg after its closed...or before for that matter....Who has a co2 testing meter for beer...nobody

Certainly doesnt hurt purging though

I was searching for the typical "hit it with 30psi, disconnect and you can store the beer for months" thing. But, why I was searching was because hit it with 30psi doesn't mean anything to me. Do I hit it for 2 seconds or 2 days. I would like the ability to store extra home brew kegs for a few weeks before using it. At an indoor temp of 68. But I don't want to screw it up either.

Also, if I just choose to leave my kegs at 10psi for a minimum of 10 days before drinking, do I still need to do the "purging" or can I leave it as is? Thanks.

Just picked up a torpedo keg, ready to take the plunge into kegging but was wondering... are they any good, trusted YouTube how-to-step-by-step videos y’all can recommend? Videos that walk you through proper steps of flooding empty keg with CO2, best transfer method from Fermenter to keg without introducing oxygen, PSI settings for beer style and appropriate time intervals for each PSI setting...

Thanks in advance :)

hit it with 30psi doesn't mean anything to me. Do I hit it for 2 seconds or 2 days. I would like the ability to store extra home brew kegs for a few weeks before using it.

What they meant by that is you connect the gas to the keg and after purging O2 headspace like mentioned above you turn up the gas to 30psi and fill until you hear the gas stop flowing and the level gauge is reading 30psi. It only takes a couple of seconds. But no, you wouldn't want to give it one fill of 30psi then disconnect it and store. You're beer will wind up under-carbonated as once that 30psi of Co2 is absorbed into the beer there's no additional gas still going in. So the 30psi method is just to speed up carbonation. You set it to 30psi and leave it for a day to a day and a half. Then you shut off the gas, turn the knob down just about all the way (so you can start from the bottom psi), purge the headspace which is at 30psi, then turn on the gas and set to your desired final psi and leave another 4-5 days.

Also, if I just choose to leave my kegs at 10psi for a minimum of 10 days before drinking, do I still need to do the "purging" or can I leave it as is? Thanks.

As mentioned above, it's not required to purge but it's good practice to rid the headspace of any O2. So yes, you would still do that.

Rev.

are they any good, trusted YouTube how-to-step-by-step videos y’all can recommend? Videos that walk you through proper steps of flooding empty keg with CO2, best transfer method from Fermenter to keg without introducing oxygen, PSI settings for beer style and appropriate time intervals for each PSI setting...

Just search up on Youtube, I'm sure there's many dozens. To be honest though, you're overthinking it. Kegging is super easy. Flooding an empty keg with CO2 - most people use 30psi and fill the keg (till you reach 30psi on the regulator and you no longer hear the sound of the gas flow), then turn off the gas flow valve on the regulator and pull the PRV valve to release it all. Some people do this multiple times. I personally prefer not to waste so much CO2 so I do 10-12psi twice. There's math to it that will show I am not purging anywhere near as much O2 as doing 30psi a couple of times but I don't care and I've never had any ill affect doing it this way. Also, you can fill the keg full with sanitizer then push the sanitizer out with gas and that will even more so ensure the O2 is purged and only CO2 is left. If the CO2 tank is inside your kegerator and nice and cold when you open up the keg to fill you'll see an opaque fog filling the keg. You won't see this if the CO2 is warm.

I simply connect my sanitized silicone tubing to my Ss Brewbucket spigot which goes to the bottom of the keg and open the spigot. As the beer fills the keg is pushes out most of the remaining gases. Then when filled close up the keg, purge the headspace about 3x at 30psi and then go from there - meaning either do set and forget at your desired psi or do a quicker method like leaving it on 30psi for a day and a half as mentioned above.

Really, kegging is super easy man and you're going to LOVE it! So long as you don't hit any kinks like gas leakage and such. Btw, I recommend using a little keg lube on your keg lid o-rings. Not cause it's necessary, it just helps to ensure the best seal and avoid any potential gas leaking.

Rev.

Last edited:
What they meant by that is you connect the gas to the keg and after purging O2 headspace like mentioned above you turn up the gas to 30psi and fill until you hear the gas stop flowing and the level gauge is reading 30psi. It only takes a couple of seconds. But no, you wouldn't want to give it one fill of 30psi then disconnect it and store. You're beer will wind up under-carbonated as once that 30psi of Co2 is absorbed into the beer there's no additional gas still going in. So the 30psi method is just to speed up carbonation. You set it to 30psi and leave it for a day to a day and a half. Then you shut off the gas, turn the knob down just about all the way (so you can start from the bottom psi), purge the headspace which is at 30psi, then turn on the gas and set to your desired final psi and leave another 4-5 days.

As mentioned above, it's not required to purge but it's good practice to rid the headspace of any O2. So yes, you would still do that.

Rev.
Thanks!

Just search up on Youtube, I'm sure there's many dozens. To be honest though, you're overthinking it. Kegging is super easy. Flooding an empty keg with CO2 - most people use 30psi and fill the keg (till you reach 30psi on the regulator and you no longer hear the sound of the gas flow), then turn off the gas flow valve on the regulator and pull the PRV valve to release it all. Some people do this multiple times. I personally prefer not to waste so much CO2 so I do 10-12psi twice. There's math to it that will show I am not purging anywhere near as much O2 as doing 30psi a couple of times but I don't care and I've never had any ill affect doing it this way. Also, you can fill the keg full with sanitizer then push the sanitizer out with gas and that will even more so ensure the O2 is purged and only CO2 is left. If the CO2 tank is inside your kegerator and nice and cold when you open up the keg to fill you'll see an opaque fog filling the keg. You won't see this if the CO2 is warm.

I simply connect my sanitized silicone tubing to my Ss Brewbucket spigot which goes to the bottom of the keg and open the spigot. As the beer fills the keg is pushes out most of the remaining gases. Then when filled close up the keg, purge the headspace about 3x at 30psi and then go from there - meaning either do set and forget at your desired psi or do a quicker method like leaving it on 30psi for a day and a half as mentioned above.

Really, kegging is super easy man and you're going to LOVE it! So long as you don't hit any kinks like gas leakage and such. Btw, I recommend using a little keg lube on your keg lid o-rings. Not cause it's necessary, it just helps to ensure the best seal and avoid any potential gas leaking.

Rev.

Thanks for this post!

I just got my kegerator and have 2 torpedo kegs on the way. I have a brown ale and a pale ale in fermonsters ready to keg.

This really cleared things up for me.

Cheers!!!

Just picked up a torpedo keg, ready to take the plunge into kegging but was wondering... are they any good, trusted YouTube how-to-step-by-step videos y’all can recommend? Videos that walk you through proper steps of flooding empty keg with CO2, best transfer method from Fermenter to keg without introducing oxygen, PSI settings for beer style and appropriate time intervals for each PSI setting...

Thanks in advance :)[/QUOTE pressure transfer
Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20180610205250.gif

Thanks in advance :)
Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20180610205250.gif
pressure transfer

Back