First time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hello all. I just accidentally bought a 2 1/2 gallon corny for $70. Now I know you will all tell me I should have gone for a 5 gallon but it is a better fit for me since I don't drink a ton of beer, I live alone, and there may be occasions when I would like to take my beer with me to friends houses and such. Anyways that being said I am looking for simple guidelines to get me started. I have someone willing to sell me a 20lb co2 tank for $40. Good buy? So now I know I need a regulator. I see some on Amazon for like $40-$50. Do I need a dual gauge or would a single one work for just one keg?

Once I get all the parts ready wheat do I do next. I have either an Irish Red Ale or a Brooklyn Summer Ale that I will try in the keg. I have never even seen a regulator nor do I know how to use it. Call me stupid, I know. But can anyone provide simple instructions? For now I will probably keep the keg in a chest freezer that I have a temperature controller in already. EVENTUALLY I will find a cheap mini fridge and go from there but for now I will just use the picnic things to get me started. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ice

The 20# for $40 is a great deal you would be set for a LONG time. Check out the last inspection date and call around to some places to make sure they will fill it or exchange it if its been too long since its last inspection. You don't need the regulator with 2 dials as the one showing co2 left usually don't work. Then all you need is disconnects and hoses for gas and beer and picnic taps to serve if you are not doing faucets. Trust me you will love it.

So you are saying a single gauge would work? Also is the 20lb tank a lot bigger than the 5lb tanks?

A 20lb tank is just under 3 inches in diameter bigger and 10 inches taller than a 5lber. So, it's not that much bigger of a footprint. Regarding the regulator, as long as you have the ability to set pressure leaving the tank and not just the dial for gas remaining, it will work fine for your setup. 40 is a good deal for a 20lber. Even if it's way bigger than you'll ever need for one 2.5 gallon keg, I'd buy it and decide what to do with afterwords.

A regulator like this is all you need http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=56

Ok, great info. Now once I have all the parts how will I make this work? Are there certain pressures, time frames, etc that I should follow?

Very cool charts, both of them. So let's say as an example that I want to keg my Irish red ale that is almost ready. And let's say I choose to serve it at 50F. So in that scenario I would simply transfer beer to keg, close it up and connect everything, set PSI to somewhere between 2.21 and 2.54PSI and let it sit for a few weeks?

2.21 to 2.54 represents the volumes of CO2. In the chart, at 50* go to the right until you hit your range of 2.21 to 2.54 volumes (if that's what you want...), then go to the top and that will tell you the recommended pressure to get that volume. Which in this case is 14-18psi. It may seem high, but 50* is pretty warm.

With this setup, you will need to have really long beer lines to handle the high pressure or adjust the pressure down for your pour. If you plan to keep the beer cooler in the future, I would go with long lines for now and then when you get your cooler and you keep your beer in the normal ~38-40 range, then you can shorten your lines. I hope this helps.

I see how it works now. I had it wrong. I was simply choosing 50 as an example. What are most beers kept at? So let's say I chill at 40F. I would simply put beer in keg, dial to 9 or 10PSI and let sit for a few weeks?

I see how it works now. I had it wrong. I was simply choosing 50 as an example. What are most beers kept at? So let's say I chill at 40F. I would simply put beer in keg, dial to 9 or 10PSI and let sit for a few weeks?

Yup. It's nice to carb at a low temp - takes less c02 pressure. I usually carb at 36F

I also just started kegging, have 5 gallons pale ale that have had 11 psi for 2 weeks at 37F and it still seems very flat. Does this seem normal? Should I up the pressure?

jtrux said:
I also just started kegging, have 5 gallons pale ale that have had 11 psi for 2 weeks at 37F and it still seems very flat. Does this seem normal? Should I up the pressure?

I find it's usually three weeks or more. You can speed it up a tad by shaking it a bit, or upping the pressure for the first 24 to 30 hours, or both(but then you risk overcarbonation). Ideal, assuming the beer spent enough time aging in primary/ secondary, is to force carb to about 70% and then bleed&turn down to serving/equilibrium pressure, IMHO. It'll then get to 95% in a week.

But how much shaking is that, and at what pressure? Otherwise, you just gotta be patient. It just gets better.

In unusual circumstances, I've heard of kegs having replacement poppet springs that are too long and have too much tension and the QD can't depress. In a situation like that, your reg will show 11psi, but the keg may not have that pressure. Have you used the keg before and did it work properly? Perhaps pull on the PR valve (if it is a ball lock) and see if the pressure goes down and the tank pumps some CO2 in it to bring it back up. Also, are you sure the keg is at 37*? Otherwise, just be patient and give it some more time.

If you are having foam with 11psi at 37 degrees, that shouldn't be over carbonated. How long are your beer lines? Beer line length plays an important role in the dispensing process. You need the proper resistance so that the co2 stays in the solution instead of being "knocked" out with a turbulent exit.

For the OP's question, I leave my keezer at 40 degrees and the beer is perfect temp for my taste. A few degrees cooler wouldn't hurt, but for me, it works perfect. I set my regulator at 12psi and let it sit. It should be pretty well carbed at a week's time if your beer stays cold and the gas is on with no leaks in your system. Of course, 3-4 week range, the carbonation is absolutely perfect, but it is very drinkable for me within a week. There are ways to reduce the time of kegging to drinking, but I wouldn't really recommend it as you risk over carbing your beer. However, many threads on this topic so you can do some searches if you are interested. Or, PM me and I can describe my process.

ValleyBrew said:
In unusual circumstances, I've heard of kegs having replacement poppet springs that are too long and have too much tension and the QD can't depress. In a situation like that, your reg will show 11psi, but the keg may not have that pressure. Have you used the keg before and did it work properly? Perhaps pull on the PR valve (if it is a ball lock) and see if the pressure goes down and the tank pumps some CO2 in it to bring it back up. Also, are you sure the keg is at 37*? Otherwise, just be patient and give it some more time.

This is the first time using the keg and keggerator. I have a cheep fridge/freezer thermometer that I leave in the kegerator. I had the thermometer on the fridge floor, I tried putting on top of the soda keg and noticed it climbed a few degrees but not higher than 43. I think the keg is getting pressure because I was able to pull a pint from it (although flat). Is this flawed logic? Can I get enough pressure to push beer through about 8' hose and up the beer tower to the tap but not enough to effectively carbonate?

It is a pin style soda keg by the way. Thanks

Jeremy

Back