First time Gose- acid malt in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesBrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
got carried away getting ready for the first Gose brew tomorrow. accidentally poured the acid malt in the mill with the others. its now nicely mixed with the pils and wheat. This is probably going to wreck mash ph, no? water ph is 7.8; 7.5 lb grain bill plus 1.5lb of acid malt.
on a positive the conditioning and milling went great. no sticking on roller, no dust, no powder swirling in the bucket. nice chunky bits, never looked better.

I might be able to source some pils and wheat from one of the local brewers today. if they don't have acidulated malt, thoughts of souring the beer with lemons? I've got a tree full in the back yard.

That's fine if you want to go that route. Juice the lemons and add it at the end of the boil.

The most notable thing I find with low mash pH is a loss of body and thinness. It’s important to have that pH in the mash right. Sour the wort after that.

The most notable thing I find with low mash pH is a loss of body and thinness. It’s important to have that pH in the mash right. Sour the wort after that.
Thanks. I didn’t bother mashing it. I planned the acid malt to be separate and go in after the 60 min mash. Picking up some replacement malt today. Might use the fresh squeezed lemons at the end. Sounds interesting.

Weird? I have a lemon tree full of lemons that will be expiring soon. seemed interesting. isn't lemon a common flavor targeted for Gose anyway.

The use of excessive acidulated malt is "weird" and definitely not a preferred method.

The lemon juice is fine for making a sour fruit beer, and it'll probably be good, but it won't really taste like a Gose because it's a different acid profile (citric vs lactic).

I see . I got that ballpark amount online somewhere. Or do you mean just using more amalt than needed to bring down ph? Decided to split it with lemons. So could I have just used lactic acid instead?
After tasting the wort, I see what you mean on the different profile.

do you mean just using more amalt than needed to bring down ph?
Right, this.

So could I have just used lactic acid instead?
You could, but that still wouldn't taste right (and some people who have tried that report it tasting downright bad).

The Lactobacilli bacteria add good flavor. It's very simple using bacteria to sour beer with the method I linked above, so unless you just want to use your lemons it's the best way to go, in my opinion.

Ok so the beer was already brewed and hops were added in hop basket during boil. Since it’s not quite sour enough or doesn’t have that (clean sharp sour) is it worth adding handful of grain to fermenter for wild bacteria? Or just leave it as is?

Last edited:
Ok so the beer was already brewed and hops were added in hop basket during boil. Since it’s not quite sour enough or doesn’t have that (clean sharp sour) is it worth adding handful of grail to fermenter for wild bacteria? Or just leave it as is?
If you want to store the beer for at least half a year, probably longer, before bottling and also risk turning in into crap, go for it!

Otherwise, leave it as it is. The taste might still also improve with some time and carbonation.

it tastes pretty good now, a few more lemons and ill leave it at that. Years ago I made a killer lambic framboise with the grain method.... but that was prior to kettle boiling. next time I'll follow recommendations above for Gose
thanks for the help

Attachments

• F9BF335B-D693-4452-AA6A-FDDAEE55A776.jpeg
    F9BF335B-D693-4452-AA6A-FDDAEE55A776.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
I would personally like to see some more pictures of your dog in the brewpub. Looks like an Irish Setter.

Latest posts

Back