First time California Ale yeast user

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babbage78

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 3 years now and have mostly stuck to using english and belgian yeast, but have always heard great things about the White labs California Ale yeast strain.

Well I am completely blown away by the attenuation of these little guys. I made a modest cream ale with an OG of 1.044 and I just checked the gravity two weeks later and it dropped all the way down to 1.003. I've never experienced such efficient fermentation and even the gravity sample tastes fantastic.

What other beer's would you recommend using California Ale yeast? I'm thinking of switching out the Dry English Ale yeast i use for my IPA recipe.

I have used this strain for most of the "american ales" that I brew. (Ambers, Pale Ales, IPA's, Cream Ales) It is a really nice strain. I switched from Wyeast awhile back because I wanted the vial as a tap handle.

1510838_10152100925912836_600688632_n.jpg

If you liked 001 try 090 sometime. It is San Diego super yeast. I've heard great about that one too. Planning to use it soon for my west coast IPA. Cal ale is great.

Back