First time Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrozenTexan

Reaction score
I am wanting to start home brewing and was wondering what would be the best kit to buy.

There are two kinds of kits to consider, the hardware kit that contains the proper hardware to get you started and the beer ingredients kit that lets you use the hardware kit to make your own beer.

I'm a believer in the simplest hardware kit for a starter. It will contain all that you need except a kettle without any frills. Frills can be added later. This kit contains hardware and a beer ingredient kit. I'd start here.

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/simply-beer-brewing-starter-kit

Beer ingredient kits are harder to give advice on as there are so many possibilities and a brewer just doesn't have the chance to try them all to see which is the best. Once you have made a couple batches you will have an idea of where you want to go.

To start with I bought a one gallon equipment kit from Austin Homebrew. That size can be a good way to try it out, you can brew on your stovetop and probably use a kettle you already have. I since have moved on to 2.5G batches but still use a lot of things that came in the kit.

I am wanting to start home brewing and was wondering what would be the best kit to buy.
That question could have 1000 answers...
I don't know what your budget is, but extract kits for ingredients would be a good place to start to get a hang of the general process.
A good equipment kit that includes your first ingredient kit can be found here-- https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-home-brewing-kit.html
You will also need at least 48-54 12oz bottles.
Kegging is also another option that requires much more expensive equipment.
The sky is the limit, but I would suggest starting simple to see if it's a hobby you'll like.
Nick

Welcome to the home brewing hobby. You won't go wrong with any of the kits mentioned above. Midwest Supply also has a one gallon starter kit. You'll just need a kettle and some bottles. Your pasta pot would most likely be large enough. I started with the one gallon kits and moved to five gallons shortly after. Still use the one gallon equipment for experiments. Browse this website for other ideas or answers to questions. If you don't see an answer, ask on the beginners board. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/craft-beer-making-kit-one-gallon

Welcome to the forum. This is a really fun hobby . The people here are very helpful and knowledgeable. You will get a big head start hanging around here and reading some old posts. I agree start with something really simple . That kit that RM-MN linked is a good starter kit . Morebeer is a pretty good place as well . If you keep an eye for clearance items and sale items you can find some good stuff .

https://www.morebeer.com/products/brewie-fermentation-starter-kit.html

These little 1.3 gal kegs might be useful if you dont wanna bottle or go to full size kegging just yet .

There's always sales on morebeer.com and homebrewing.org. Looks like homebrewing.org is having a sale right now. Haha.
Get a book too. The complete joy of homebrewing is a good one but there's a slew of others out there. The old Brewing TV episodes taught me a lot back in the day. Check out Don O on youtube and chopandbrew.com too! They're great homebrewing videos and lots of information.
Welcome to the hobby! :mug:

Where do you live? In the US? I try to support my local homebrew shop when I can, even if it means spending 10% more. There are some great online vendors and I have purchased many things that way, but it is nice to know when you need a pack of yeast or some crystal malt, there is a store you can drive to.

You can spent $50 on a basic kit and brew good beer...or spend $200 on a basic kit that will set a solid foundation. I brew on the cheap, but I am sure I have over $1,000 in equipment (with a decent 10 gallon pot and a kegging system being a good chunk of that).

We just got a hbs recently. Well about 40 miles away. My aunt owns one in New Mexico so I try and give her some business even though I'm in California. I use morebeer for grain though because it would be really expensive for her to ship. I will check out the new hbs next time I'm in town.

The one that’s on Craigslist

welcome to the addiction.

Craigslist...for the love of all that is fermented spend some time on Craigslist ....

You will thank me

Here in Austin Craigslist always has a couple posts of starter Kits for cheap. Check home brew supply sites for their kits to get a list
Here is a similar kit I based my list on when I first started

https://www.austinhomebrew.com/The-AHS-Beginner-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-2_p_5598.html

Found most of the list off Craigslist, but bought my Kettle at Academy (they have stainless steel 30qt pots good enough for 5 Gal batches)

Back