First Time AG attempt question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verg

Reaction score
I have looked all over the place and have not found a clear cut answer about this. I plan on doing an infusion mash for my first attempt. My question is: once it is done with the hour rest, do I vorlauf and drain and then add water to get it 168-170 stir let it sit 5-10 minutes and repeat until I get 6-7 gallons. Or after the rest do I add water to get the temp to 168-170, stir, wait 10 minutes then vorlauf and drain for the first time and repeat with sparge water?

I hope this does not sound confusing, hell I am confusing myself now when I type this out.

Thanks for the help!

I believe I know what you're asking. Its about the mash-out.

Whether you 'need' to up the temp to about 170F before you drain is mostly dependent on your grain bill. if you have a lot of wheat, oats, or flaked grains, you should get the temp to avoid a stuck sparge.

Your sparge water would be 170F as well, so the rinsing doesn't stick either.

most of the time you have the initial mash water, and one batch sparge. but i know a lot of guys are doing two smaller sparges and getting nice efficiency.

I don't think it will make much difference, but malkore has a good point about stuck sparges.

However you do it, give a good stir after adding water, and then vorlauf before collecting the runnings.

Good luck

-a.

Back