First Taste Test of Crabapple wine ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombo80

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my recipe:

32# crabapples (fresh and ground through a large hole grinder plate)
3# Raisins (ground with the crabapples)
6# Sugar
2 1/2 gallons water
1 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1 TBSP Yeast Nutrient
4 Campden Tablets
Cote de Blanc Yeast

Followed standard procedures with the Campden, pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Pitched yeast on must, and punched cap twice a day for a week. Strained out pulp (muslin bag) and squeezed out as much liquid I could. Racked into secondary. Racked every 3 months. Bottled half (12 bottles) at 9 months. Reserved remainder to backsweeten at varying levels to see which level tastes the best.

OG - 1.089
FG - 0.995

I opened one of the first bottles last weekend (no backsweetening). It was absolutley fabulous. :ban: It had been bottled for 3 months. It was not as dry as I was expecting. It had a really nice apple flavor, with a slight dry backend. It will be interesting to see what the backsweetened ones taste like.

I just thought I would share my success with all of you.

:tank:

That sounds great. I'm finding that I keep all of my crabapple wines dry, too- that's how they really shine! Fruity and crisp, like a pinot grigio, and a great "spicy" background note from teh crabs. It's one of our favorites- yours sounds great!

Back