First Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledhead72486

Reaction score
So I have been brewing all grain for about a year. Have done a lot of ipas, browns, red, basically a lot of ales. I don't know why but I am extremely intimidated by doing a stout but I really want to do one! Am I nuts? Any suggestions for a good recipe? Thanks!

You really don't have anything to be afraid of. All you are really talking about is different specialty grains. Ideally the water profile needs to be a little harder for dark beers, but otherwise it's business as usual. I would suggest an oatmeal stout for your first try. Yooper's oatmeal stout is outstanding

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/yoopers-oatmeal-stout-210376/

I highly recommend it.

Yeah but what kind of stout are you wanting? Dry Irish stout, milk stout, oatmeal stout, foreign export stout, or the grand daddy Russian Imperial Stout? Nothing too difficult with the first 4, but you want to think out an RIS first if that's your choice.

I forgot to add that making a stout is easier than making an IPA since IPAs use so much hops the clean up is worse.
Porters are another excellent dark ale style, and my favorite dark ale. I make more porters than any other style.

less hops, the dark malts cover a whole lot of issues, it's pretty hard to **** up IMHO vs lighter ales and lagers. I'll brew one every 3-4 batches for contrast and to keep me believing (that I'm an awesome brewer...)

Steve da sleeve

Back