First single hop IPA attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
I've just recently finished my first cider batch and was decently happy with it and have decided to just jump right in and try a simple single hop IPA using Citra.

I'm going to probably go with the following:

2 Gallon Batch

3lbs Amber Dry Malt Extract (I want a nice amber colored IPA)
0.5lb Crystal 20L
0.25oz Citra @ 60mins
0.25oz Citra @ 20mins
0.25oz Citra @ 10 mins
0.25oz Citra @ Flame Out
Safale S-04 Dry Yeast

According to TastyBrew recipe calculator I'm looking at around the following:

OG = 1.068
FG = 1.018
IBUs = 58
SRM = 13
ABV = 6.7%

I just have 2 questions.

I've read sometime with Ale yeasts that higher gravity beers (usually 1.070+) that they can sometimes have issues and stall. Is 1.068 still considered high? Should I rehydrate the dry yeast or just pitch it straight? Will I need a yeast nutrient? I just don't want to have any stalling issues since the only thing I've really brewed with S-04 was a 1.045 cider.
Secondly, is that hop schedule fine or should I change some things? I've tried to look around at other recipes and match it best I could.

Sorry for the essay lol

I'd throw another oz dry hopped that's just me though. I'm drinking my citra IPA right now and it's delicious

I'd throw another oz dry hopped that's just me though. I'm drinking my citra IPA right now and it's delicious

How long would you recommend I dry hop? Would 7 days do it? Or is that too long/too short?

I think my batch I dry hopped for 5 days after fermentation settled and had great tasting results

Cut the crystal and don't use 100% amber. Quadruple the citra at 10 minutes and flameout, another ounce for the dryhop. Use properly hydrated US05, pitch the whole packet for a high gravity ale.

I rehydrated my s-05 on a huge double ipa, and it didnt stall 1 bit (7.5 gallons of 1.090 beer, and i used 2 packets) this is the only time i used it, and i was happy that it kicked off and wasmdone fairly quick.

As for you hops, i would ditch the 20 min, and add that .25 to the flameout, or save it and do a dry hop with it if your trying to stay at 1oz, and move the 10 min to a 15 min.

For the DME, i think i would do a 2# amber and 1# wheat....im not an extract brewer but i have been liking wheat in some of my ipas, and the amber dme i have used for some starters in the past have been plenty dark amber colored, so with the crystal 20L steep, i think youll be happy....

Just my 2 cents ☺

Back