First Shot at Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troxs

Reaction score
So I went to a local brew house and had my first hefeweizen, and I fell in love. I decided to come up with my own recipe now here is what I was thinking.

Grain
5lbs 2-Row
3lbs White Wheat
1lbs Victory
8oz Biscuit

Hops
1oz Amarillo (30 min)

Yeast
White Labs Hefeweizen (WLP300)

I'm looking for the biscuit/victory to add a little extra mhmm? factor if that makes any sense.

I'm doing one later this week. Going to try Danstar's Munich yeast. Probably split it and add blueberries to half.

I'd use a German hop instead of the Amarillo if you are going for a traditional hefe. Otherwise, looks good!

I was going to go with a German hop, but I have some amarillo on hand that I want to use up soon before I lose it.

Yea, not a real problem, esp if you have it on a hand. You might detect some American hop character in there, but at 1 oz for 60 min, it won't kill the beer.

I'd also just keep the grain bill simple. Hefes are simple, easy brews. Just go 50% 2-row, 50% the wheat. No need for the other two grains. A traditional hefe is at least 50% wheat. Your flavor is coming from the yeast.

I've made two batches of this now, and it's excessively awesome. If you want it to be darker, just add a pinch of crystal malt or something:

Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen

My second batch should be ready to drink in a couple more days. First batch only took about a week to disappear. Lemony, Banana and clove flavors all come through for me on this one. Can't say enough good things about it.

Oh, and if it smells like burnt rubber after the first week in the bottle -- Shame on you for opening a bottle so quickly -- don't worry it goes away completely by the end of week 2.

I keg so no big deal on the opening early, plus I plan to brew this next week. which I have 5 gal of a oaked rye beer, an oatmeal stout, a gingered pale ale, and a hallertau and oat beer sitting in seconardy waiting for me to finish my cider keg... so it will be sitting for a minute before I drink it.

Back