First recipe for a partial mash, please comment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbum007

Reaction score
I just finished using Beersmith (thanks for the suggestion guys!) to develop a partial mash doppelbock recipe. I only have a 5 gallon SS pot so it is not a full boil. Here is what I have...

6.60 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 51.16 %
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 23.26 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.50 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.75 %
0.30 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.33 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (40 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.082 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.16 %
Bitterness: 24.5 IBU
Est Color: 19.5 SRM

Comments? I would like some input as this is the first time I have done this and I think it looks good. I did look over the recipe for my favorite doppelbock and used it as a basis (Salvator). Thanks a bunch for the help. Also, I have a 3 lb bag of light DME laying around and was thinking of substituting it for 3.3 lbs of pilser LME. Would that make a huge difference in the end? Should I just stick to the 6.6 lbs of LME?
Kurt

I just finished using Beersmith (thanks for the suggestion guys!) to develop a partial mash doppelbock recipe. I only have a 5 gallon SS pot so it is not a full boil. Here is what I have...

6.60 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 51.16 %
3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 23.26 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.50 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.75 %
0.30 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.33 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (40 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.082 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.16 %
Bitterness: 24.5 IBU
Est Color: 19.5 SRM

Comments? I would like some input as this is the first time I have done this and I think it looks good. I did look over the recipe for my favorite doppelbock and used it as a basis (Salvator). Thanks a bunch for the help. Also, I have a 3 lb bag of light DME laying around and was thinking of substituting it for 3.3 lbs of pilser LME. Would that make a huge difference in the end? Should I just stick to the 6.6 lbs of LME?
Kurt

I'm no dopplebock expert, so I'll leave the recipe critique to someone else. I wanted to say though that pilsner LME is really not interchangeable with anything else. It's made out of pilsner malt, so it's a specialty item. Since you're also mashing some pilsner malt, I'd recommend a 90 minute boil for this recipe. Even if you're adding your hops at 40 minutes, a longer boil is a good idea.
What do you plan for a fermentation temperature and a lagering schedule?

i second the 90 minute boil for your pilsner.

that does look like a fine recipe, tho.

why would you only boil your hops for 40 minutes? the hops should only impart bittering...flavor and aroma are not common in that style and you get less utilization with only 40 minutes.

once again, i would suggest stepping up your fermentatation. do not add your extract to your boil, just use your grains, and put about 4 gallons into the fermenter. then, when fermentation is at it's peak, boil up your extract in a gallon of water for 10 minutes, cool, and add that to your primary. it'll be smoother, you'll get higher attenuation, and almost zero risk of a stuck fermentation.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate you guys taking the time. I'll stick with the pils LME and figure on a 90 minute boil. And thanks DB for the recommendation. I was already going to try the PM method you posted. That is what inspired me to try PM. I figured I would get a few extracts under my belt and slowly buy the AG equipment but I have not been pleased with my extract results and I have the equipment for the PM. I is still going to be a while before I can get the AG equipment, so I though a PM might give me better results. The addition of the hops at 40 minutes is based on the beersmith program. That is the longest I can put them in without going over the recommended IBU profile. Since I can only buy 1oz packages, I figured it would be easier to use all of the hops instead of having various amounts sitting in my fridge. If I add the extract at a later point, will I have to change the hop profile? I assume so as the lower OG wort will be able to dissolve more of the hops oil (or something like that). As for the lagering schedule, I am still working on that. Living at 8,500 feet, temp will not be a problem, this time of year. I am trying to find the average temp for my crawl space and garage. I figure I would ferment in the warmer environment and lager in the colder one. I expect my average for the crawl space will be about 55 F and the garage should be colder.

Latest posts

Back