First Recipe... comments or suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattldm

Reaction score
I just ordered my first recipe (other than using a kit) and I wanted to see what everyone thought, good or bad!

I'm trying for an English amber type beer, Im a big fan of Samuel Smith brews and I was looking for something with that feel.... I might be way off but here it is: :confused:

5 gallon batch
3 lbs. Extra light DME
3 lbs. Amber DME
3/4 lb. Crystal 60L
3/4 lb. Victory Malt
1 oz. Challenger Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Willamette (Flavor)
1 oz. Willamette (Aroma)
White Labs English Ale WLP002 Yeast

Any comments or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

I was wondering if I take 1/2 to 1 cup of dme out of the 6lbs. to make a
yeast starter, will that affect the recipe very much?
Or should I get some additional dme to make the starter?
My yeast got hot during shipping and I'm concerned it might not
be as good as it should be.

Victory....I assume you're using it for the toasty/buiscuit it brings? I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be mashed...might want to check into it. Otherwise, it'll give you a permanent starch haze and little in the way of fermentables.

You can do as you're suggesting with the existing extract to make a starter or buy some more extract for a starter...slightly different, but either will work. I personally usually decant and just pitch the yeast, but if you use some of the existing extract, just pitch the whole thing in. I doubt it'll impact flavor substantially.

Victory....I assume you're using it for the toasty/buiscuit it brings? I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be mashed...might want to check into it. Otherwise, it'll give you a permanent starch haze and little in the way of fermentables.

You can do as you're suggesting with the existing extract to make a starter or buy some more extract for a starter...slightly different, but either will work. I personally usually decant and just pitch the yeast, but if you use some of the existing extract, just pitch the whole thing in. I doubt it'll impact flavor substantially.
thanksfor the info. Yea I was looking for the nutty, biscuit flavor and according to morebeer, the victory should work well in extract brewing!?

"victory Gives a warm toasted nutty flavor... great in Nut Brown Ales. Flavor comes through well in extract brewing."

cool, I will just make the starter out of what I have and pitch the whole thing!
I have used it once before as part of a kit though in a much smaller amount, and it seemed to work fine.

the info on morebeer is correct, the flavor will come through, you just won't get any fermentables out of it and may get a starch haze. no big deal, just something to be aware of.

if you were inclined, i'm pretty sure Victory has enough enzymes to convert itself, so if you wanted to do a mini-mash, you could do so without having to pick any additional ingredients. otherwise, carry on with plan A!

the info on morebeer is correct, the flavor will come through, you just won't get any fermentables out of it and may get a starch haze. no big deal, just something to be aware of.

if you were inclined, i'm pretty sure Victory has enough enzymes to convert itself, so if you wanted to do a mini-mash, you could do so without having to pick any additional ingredients. otherwise, carry on with plan A!

The haze won't affect the flavor just the clarity of the finished beer right?

I finally brewed this recipe! Seems to have come out great. I ended up using 1lb. each of the crystal 60 and victory instead of the 3/4lb i listed above.

OG - 1.058 almost exactly what beertools said it should be!

I added the amber DME half way through the boil, The color came out nice and caramel-like! not too dark!

I did a yeast starter with the 32oz water, 1 cup of DME, and a pinch of yeast nutrient. I pitched the starter @ 75... The next day it was going like crazy, and blew beer through the airlock!!!

so far so good... Cant wait to try it!

tried one of the these today. (13 days in the bottle) still needs a little more time to finish. It was slightly low on carbonation, but the flavor was great.
Has a fruity ester aroma, nice bitterness! Its a pretty tasty beer and simple to make!
Will update in a week or so, hopefully the carbonation will be a bit better!

Back