First recipe attempt - Bigrock Traditional Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm trying to put together a Bigrock Traditional Ale clone (or something equally tasty...). Based on the information provided at http://bigrockbeer.com/beer/traditional-ale

I've come up with the following:
9lb Canadian Pale 2-row
2lb Crystal 80
.15lb Black malt

.4oz Galena (13) - 60 minutes
.25oz Williamette (4.3) 5 minutes
US-56 yeast

According to Brewers Friend's calculator, this should put me on for colour (20.5 SRM), IBU (20.5), ABV (%5.08), with an OG of 1.054 and FG of 1.015

Will this blend of malts provide sufficient malt backing for the IBU? Or will it just be a colourful thin brew?
Does the hop schedule look correct? Bigrock states they use Galena and Williamette, so my assumption is that the Galena is for bittering and the williamette is a late addition.

This is my first attempt at creating a recipe of my own, I generally just still from Homebrewtalk. I realise that this is probably an overly simplistic malt bill, and that I may need to add a few others, but according to the information provided by bigrock, I feel like I should have a decent place to start with this.

Any and all advice is welcome!

-Scott

Hi Broken - I don't know that particular beer, but 2 lbs of crystal malt in a 5 gallon bunch is a lot, probably too much. It will leave your beer sweet and perhaps cloying, and make it difficult for your beer to be well attenuated. Most of the time, 5% of the grain bill is my upper limit for crystal or caramel malts and I usually go lower than that. If you want to increase the perception of maltiness, you could add some Munich or Vienna malt instead of some of the crystal. A small amount of melanoidan malt is another option. When you decrease the crystal, if you need to add color, you can add a small amount of debittered roasted malts, such as Black Prinz. Or adding some chocolate malt will give you color and malt flavor without the roastiness of roasted barley or black malt.

Back