First Pump Recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I'm ready to get into pumps. Moving MLT/HLT/kettles around for gravity transfers is getting old.

I'm thinking that I want a pump capable of the following:

1) Transfer strike/sparge (batch) water from kettle/HLT to MLT.
2) I assume I'll still need to gravity drain my mash to my kettle?
3) Whirlpool wort for cooling (immersion chiller).
4) Transfer wort from kettle to fermenter.

I might get into recirculating my mash, but I think that's a secondary concern.

I'd like to start with a single pump with some sort of quick-disconnects.

So, what I need from my HBT brethren (and sistren) is this:

1) Is there anything missing or grossly incorrect about my operational concept above?
2) What are some good pump recommendations, based on the above?
3) What kind of connections should I go with?

Thanks!

You could use a single pump for all four actions listed, just need kettle valves and a valve on the pump output, and obviously hose disconnects of some kind to allow hose swapping. The primary reason for two pumps on a three vessel rig is to support fly sparging; even batch sparging can be accomplished with a single pump, just requires more hose end swaps.

So..

1. I don't see anything out of band.
2. I use a pair of March 815PLs that are going on 10 years old now and still work great with the occasional thrust washer replacement and have no problems recommending them. But, you could go with a similar Chugger pump, or if you're feeling flush go with the Blichmann "Riptide" which has some extras that might be worth the extra coin.
3. I use stainless steel cam lock fittings on my brew rig and like them a lot. The primary alternative is ball lock style connectors which are also popular. You can see both styles here. The hard core alternative is to use tri-clamp sanitary connectors, but I suspect that's a bit awkward in practice compared to the others.

Cheers!

With either the March or Chugger pumps, I'd advise going with the stainless head (you can interchange them, I have Chugger heads on my March pumps) with the inlet pointing out (straight), not down. Makes for easier priming of the pump, among other things.

I started off with a single pump. I installed two into my brew stand. I already had them (bought over several years ago) so it was a 'no brainer' to just use both. As day_tripper mentioned, you could get away with just one pump and then decide if you want/need to add another. Since mine are mounted to the stand, it made a lot of sense to use both. Less tubing lengths to get the liquids moved between vessels.

I also mount my plate chiller between the two pumps. I cannot say enough good things about the plate chiller I have (also bought several years back from Duda Diesel). It chills my wort FAST. Far faster than I could ever do with an immersion chiller. Even the one I made with 50 feet of copper tubing. Since you're in AL, I'm going to assume you do something to chill down the water going into you IC in order to get the wort chilled within a reasonable time frame. For reference (with ground/well water in NH) I can chill just over 7 gallons of wort from boil to below pitch temp (I usually target 60F) in about 8 minutes. Larger batches take a bit more time. I often have to reduce the water into the chiller in the final couple of minutes. That's so that I don't go below 60F into fermenter.

BTW, if you do go for two pumps, you can do more complicated things. Such as recirculating your mash through a HERMS coil (in your HLT) while also recirculating the water in the HLT to keep it the same temperature throughout.

For QD's, I started with the ball lock type early on. Moved to the cam lock type for some time (was convinced they were "the best") and recently switched back to the ball lock type. Since I had bought the cam lock from different sellers, over several years, I was having major trouble getting both arms to secure them to the fittings. I finally had enough and went back to the ball lock style. I've obtained replacement o-rings for the female fittings that have old o-rings and will change those out before next brew day.

One item I would advise, no matter which QD you go with. Get oetiker clamps. IME, worm clamps SUCK BALLS! I tried using those early on and could never get them to seal 100%. Most evident on CO2 (for kegging) lines. When it came time for the silicone tubing, I simply went with those too. Yes, they are a 'one shot' item and you have to cut them off if you need to redo things. But they won't fail on you like a worm clamp will. Plus, worm clamps can skip and simply NOT tighten past a point. I picked up a ratcheting clamping tool for the oetiker clamps several years back. As well as the standard type. Most of the time I use the ratcheting tool to secure the clamps, and the non-ratcheting to remove them. Also, make sure you get the stainless steel clamps. They are easy to get from either HBS (online at least), Amazon and McMaster. I've bought from all three. McMaster has the widest range of options out there (as expected) so just know what size you're looking for (they're stamped the size on them). Or look at the clamping range of each one and pick accordingly.
When I did the gas, and liquid, lines for my new keezer, I used all oetiker clamps for everything. Zero issues/leaks at those points. I only had to make sure all the swivel nuts were tightened to the proper level. Which is the same no matter what clamps you use.

The way you are approaching this upgrade is commendable. Asking advice will offer you a number of paths to take. Nobody wants to purchase the same product twice. Advice I might offer is look to your breweries future as your current plans evolve. McMaster Carr has QD that I have used for years. I do not have links to the product but recall them all posted on this board. Not certain what forum that info was located. I have found them to work well for me. They are brass rather than SS.

This is a great hobby and part of it can be brewery building and increasing capacity.

So, as far as pumps go, I'm a HUGE fan of buy once cry once for the Blichmann Riptide... If you're okay dropping the full $200 on it. I know that it's a lot for something that's not absolutely integral for everyone's process, but I'll list a few reasons why as soon as I got the pump and used it a few times, I became a fan boy:
  • Precise flow control from the linear flow valve ($40 retail for the valve itself).
  • Tri clamp pump head for incredibly easy cleaning. Just unclamp and rinse with hot water and let it air dry. PBW if it needs a good clean.
  • Nearly silent in comparison to most other pumps. You can still hear it, but I run this thing my entire mash and for 30-45 minutes from end of boil to yeast pitch, and you barely notice the noise.
  • Hard on/off switch on the base.
  • Correctly weighted so it won't fall off the table when touched, so no real need mount it anywhere unless you really want to.
  • Tri clamp head is easily rotatable to adjust the angle of your in/out in case you're moving it around.
  • PRV for super easy priming. No need to mess with letting water flow out the end of the pump while it's off to prime it. Just keep the outflow valve closed and hold a small cup under the PRV to catch any liquid to prime it. Careful if it's hot, though.
  • All stainless, no need to upgrade the head from the poly to stainless.
I used dual chuggers for a few years, and while they were great, the bliss of silence while running my pump was a big enough reason to upgrade alone in my opinion.

Another pump I can recommend is the Topsflo pump... It's pretty quiet as well and a little cheaper than the riptide.

As far as connections go, I've only ever used ball lock QDs from Bobby w/ Brewhardware. I love them. I can't comment on the camlocks since I've never used them but my best guess is since people also love camlocks, you can't go wrong with either.

I’ve used a March pump for almost 8 years without a problem, BUT, I received a Riptide as a gift and the SS, easy to clean features plus the quiet operation and flow rate are exceptional.
if I were buying I’d definitely go with the Riptide.

Latest posts

Back