First post! question on using gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cidertimebaby

Reaction score
So I made some apple cider using brown sugar and some cinnamon for extra flavour. Now the brew is done and the alcohol content tastes quite high(no hydrometer but I'd estimate 8-10% range)

My question on using gelatin to clear the brew...I would like to carbonate now but I have read that the brew must be cold crashed with the gelatin in order for it to be effective. So would it be better to cold crash the brew in a secondary for a couple days, do another rack and then carbonate?? Will there be enough yeast left to carbonate?

Thanks!

Depends on how clear you want your brew. I've never cold crashed but my carbonations have been plenty effective... If its done fermenting bottle prime as calculated(see northern brewers carbonation calculator) and enjoy in about 3 weeks.

Thanks, I think it has to ferment a little more. I added a little too much brown sugar in primary and the ABV content is going to be a little higher than I thought. I did rack back into the juice bottles and they have expanded a lot in the last 4 hours. I was getting a bubble from my air lock about every 10 seconds....maybe I drink one bottle toniight for this Montreal game and throw the air lock back on the other! hehe

Back