First possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdcollette

Reaction score
I've been brewing cider for about a year and have been quite successful thanks to this forum. My first batch turned out a bit like moonshine, but that was due to excess sugar and an zealous strain of yeast...but since then, I've been able to turn our a pretty consistently good dry, carbed cider.

For the first time, I was experimenting with adding spices to the brew and I had some high expectations for some cinnamon flavoring I'd added. I brewed for about three weeks in the primary and then racked it to the secondary. At the time of the transfer, I tasted it and thought I was on a good track :). Also, there was nothing unusual about it.

However, I had it in a secondary until fermentation stopped and then bottled it last week (total time about 6-8 weeks from when I started). Unfortunately, I have noticed a mucus like slime throughout both of the bottles. I did some searches online and something similar seems to happen in beer brewing (ropey beer, most commonly). It is possible that I did not sanitate the cinnamon enough before tossing it.

Has anyone had an experience with this in cider brewing? I'm wondering if I should dump the batch or wait it out. It looks quite nasty, so I'm not in the mood to taste it.

Jon C.

Slimy mucous? Get a mate to test it. There's no way I'd be touching that.

Back