First PM, Indifferent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
So I did my first PM, a belgian wit.

It turned out successful (or so I hope), still havent seen any bubbling BUT I hit my OG, which is nice.

A few snags, however. I had a really hard time getting sparge water onto my grain bed without creating that gaping hole, and since I had to sparge twice with 2.2 gallons each time on my 4.5 lb. grain bed to hit my full boil of 6 gallons, it seems like the grains were getting beat up. Plus, is it okay to mix the grains a little with the water while sparging? Flippin grain bed.....I feel like my efficiency was awful.

Also, my MLT worked well but it didnt hold up very well. My braid is unraveling from the spigot, I used FlyGuys directions with the mod to make mine (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008). I really dont want to have to keep buying a new braid, any suggestions??

Overall, it was OKAY, but I think im just going to go AG from now on. . . hopefully I made an okay brew :drunk:

i do PM for quite a few reasons.

1. two save time: with my PM teabag method, it takes no longer than an extract. 3 hours, usually. AG still takes me 5+ with cleaning and preparation.
2. less to clean: i don't have to worry about a mash tun, hoses, etc. (of course, some people PM in mash tuns.)
3. equipment: i don't have to use a burner with my PM batches, i do about a 4 gallon boil.
4. space: my apartment doesn't have much room for a wort chiller or any of that nonsense. i have a small deck, but that's still is a PITA.
5. waste: i can throw <6 lbs of grain in the garbage can and take it downstairs on my way to work the next day.

AG is the way to go, but i throw some PM batches in there when i'm lazy or want to squeeze something in on a weekday ;)

put a zip tie around the braid to hold it onto the nipple of the spigot. that'll keep it on and keep ti from un-braiding/fraying. its not a piece you need to take off and clean after each use.

I'm not sure why you didn't just do a full AG batch...you can do a full boil, so why spend money on extract? just up the grainbill next time.

Pouring onto an inverted pie tin will solve that problem. In batch sparging you will mix up your grains and water. It depends on how you sparge.

Do you just lay the tin on top of the grain bed or how do you set that up?

I would have done a EDIT: ALL GRAIN but I had extract laying around I needed to use. Next time its for sure AG

With batch sparging, you want to mix the bed. I add the water, then stir a few minutes before letting it settle.

With batch sparging, you want to mix the bed. I add the water, then stir a few minutes before letting it settle.

+1.

My only questions is why you sparged with all of your boil water. Why didn't you just sparge with a smaller amount of water and then top of your brewpot to your boil volume? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Do you just lay the tin on top of the grain bed or how do you set that up?

Yeah, there isn't anything scientific about it. I just flip it upside down and put it on top of the grain bed (I use one of those Bakers Square cheapy tins). It usually tilts sideways and sinks partway into the grain, but it still is perfect. When I'm vraulafing (sp I know I should know that one). I don't use it when I'm adding my sparge water though because I batch sparge.

+1.

My only questions is why you sparged with all of your boil water. Why didn't you just sparge with a smaller amount of water and then top of your brewpot to your boil volume? Just a thought.

Cheers,

Yeah I figured I could do that, but then someone mentioned that I just split my batch sparges into 2, dividing up the rest of the water that was needed to make 6 gallons on top of the first mash, which ended up being 2.2 gallons per sparge. It worked out fine, although I hear the threat of over-sparging so I was worried about that. So when batch sparging its okay to pour in the sparge water hard/ directly on the grain bed and you can also stir and be fine? That makes me feel better. Just another thought, I added my grains to the water when mashing, not the other way around, problem?

Back