First pint ever!! A big THANK YOU Homebrew Talk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_D

Master Of My Domain
Reaction score
Appreciate all the help that so many folks have provided over the last few weeks!

My first brew day was 30 days ago, and I poured my first home brewed pint about 30 mins ago! 😎 It’s nothing special, a California Common.. but it tastes great! I can honestly say, I could not have gotten to this point without this site!

Here’s a couple pics.. it’s not super clear, but I’m not trying to win any contests with it. 😆

49E766D2-F0D9-4B2C-AE59-C509F5B5A357.jpeg

DD180422-EBE3-412C-AC3A-26B18107B249.jpeg

D529C389-91A0-420B-AEFD-F5200A7B72BC.jpeg

Good job! It does take some time in the bottle to clarify. You didn't specify how long the beer spent in the fermenter before bottling or even if you bottled. You might have kegged the beer and the first pour would likely have some sediment that later pours would not.

Now that you have a successful batch it is time to start another if you haven't already. I like my beers to have some time in the bottle so having lots of beer on hand allows me to sample and still have most of the beer have time. The only exception to that is beers that have been dry hopped as the hop aroma fades with time so those beers don't get much bottle aging and I brew them more often.

Nice. All grain or extract? Never mind -- I found your other thread.

Nothing like jumping in with both feet!

Last edited:
Looks nice .. I want one.

It'll probably clear a little more with time. How long has it been since you packaged? Might not have spent enough time to drop clear yet.

Congrats!

Appreciate it! I’ll be kegging it, haven’t transferred it over yet though. That was a pour straight from the unitank. Hopefully I’ll get it in a keg today, gotta get busy though to make it happen.

Good job! It does take some time in the bottle to clarify. You didn't specify how long the beer spent in the fermenter before bottling or even if you bottled. You might have kegged the beer and the first pour would likely have some sediment that later pours would not.

Now that you have a successful batch it is time to start another if you haven't already. I like my beers to have some time in the bottle so having lots of beer on hand allows me to sample and still have most of the beer have time. The only exception to that is beers that have been dry hopped as the hop aroma fades with time so those beers don't get much bottle aging and I brew them more often.

Appreciate it! It’s been in the fermenter for 30 days now. Like I mentioned above, hopefully I’ll be kegging it today. I’ve already been chomping at the bit to get another batch going, my Grainfather controller spazzed out just at the end of my last brew so unfortunately I’m ring on a replacement from them. I‘ve got a chocolate peanut butter Porter in my other fermenter right now though, it’s on day 16. 😎

Nice. All grain or extract? Never mind -- I found your other thread.

Nothing like jumping in with both feet!

Appreciate it.. it’s all grain. 😎 Yeah, I’m bad about doing that. Kinda glad I did though! 😁

I've had beers be cloudy after quite a while in the fermenter and clear up within just a few days when carbonated. Hope yours clears too.

Appreciate it! That’s solid advice there, and pretty much where my mind was on it. 👍

sexy mood lighting!!! :mug: next pic do a double pour after the protein colagulates, let's get you some stiffy head! ;)

Hell yeah.. I had Barry White playin in the background. 🤣

I’ll definitely get some pics of a double pour after it settles down, if it lasts that long! 😁 Got it transferred to kegs, yes.. unfortunately more than one. Good thing I had cleaned and sanitized 2 of them. I made sure I took every precaution to be as oxygen free as possible, but I did make a mistake transferring which I know caused a lot of head on the first keg (no O2 though). It was a learning experience.. won’t happen again. Given that, I’ve got 1 keg with about 3.5 gals and another with a little over a gal. Finishing up replacing the tap lines on the Keezer I picked up, then I’ll be able to chill for a bit! 😎

Appreciate all the help that so many folks have provided over the last few weeks!

My first brew day was 30 days ago, and I poured my first home brewed pint about 30 mins ago! 😎 It’s nothing special, a California Common.. but it tastes great! I can honestly say, I could not have gotten to this point without this site!

Here’s a couple pics.. it’s not super clear, but I’m not trying to win any contests with it. 😆

View attachment 755884

View attachment 755886

View attachment 755885
Very cool! There's something awfully rewarding about a good tasting beer from your own efforts.

Congratulations! I gelatin all my beers(in the fermenter but it can be done in kegs) except Neipa to speed up the maturation process. I'm not the waiting type so I pretty much start drinking off the kegs the day after I keg them. They hit a stable flavor profile on about day 10 and if they can be clear they are usually crystal clear by day 3/4. If I don't gelatin the clarity take 4/6 weeks from kegging but it would be rare for anything to last that long here. You will read on HBT that the best beer out of the keg is the last one because as it matures it gets better and I wanted to speed that up so more of the beer was prime condition for drinking. So you went for the chocolate peanut butter porter that should be delicious, you'll have to report back on that one.

Congratulations! I gelatin all my beers(in the fermenter but it can be done in kegs) except Neipa to speed up the maturation process. I'm not the waiting type so I pretty much start drinking off the kegs the day after I keg them. They hit a stable flavor profile on about day 10 and if they can be clear they are usually crystal clear by day 3/4. If I don't gelatin the clarity take 4/6 weeks from kegging but it would be rare for anything to last that long here. You will read on HBT that the best beer out of the keg is the last one because as it matures it gets better and I wanted to speed that up so more of the beer was prime condition for drinking. So you went for the chocolate peanut butter porter that should be delicious, you'll have to report back on that one.

Appreciate it, and I'll keep the gelatin in mind. I know it won't last long enough around here in a keg for a 4/6 weeks clarifying unless I get way ahead. From now on, I plan on doing 10 gal batches for most of my brews. Oh, and I'll definitely post some results on the porter. It's coming up on the 3 week mark for it in the fermenter.

Once you get settled in you should be able to keg by day 13 pretty reliably( I usually brew again on day 14 ). There is no beer I make that spends more than 21 days in the fermenter and the only ones that go that long are 10-12% beers. Kveik yeast beers usually kegged by day 7 or before. Enjoy the hobby along with the delicious beers that you will make along the way.
EDIT: Just got thinking that you are carbonating in your fermenters judging by the beer pic you posted before you kegged. Then I would say that you are probably ready to carbonate where for me I mentioned I'm ready to keg.

Last edited:
Back